B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Need some stereo head unit replacement info

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Default Need some stereo head unit replacement info

I searched and found a lot of helpful info, but on previous models. im just looking to get some general info or a link to some decent threads on what i will loose if i do a swap to an after-market on a b7. While im at it id like to know if anyone ran into problems installing speakers. i have a kenwood dnx6120 w/ built in garmin and Boston acoustic speakers that i will be removing from my previous ride. just would hate to have all this equipment lying around like so many other things in my garage.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

Well i know on my 00 a6, they had to rewire the wires from the head unit to the speakers because of the german engineering but with the head unit i'm looking into this 1

http://www.dynavin.com/products/product_dnv_a4.php

its very oem look and u can still use ur steering wheel controls with it, and from what i understand its pretty easy to install.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:37 PM
1st Gear

I've done a swap on my 2007 B7. I put in a Pioneer AVH-9300BT head unit.

I've had a few side effects to the change.
1st up: Rear speakers & tweeters don't play audio for some reason, and they have engine noise when the head lights are on. I've countered this, but unplugging them all together. I'll attempt to fix this at a later date, but I know that it has something to do with the factory amps requiring lower voltage, and the head unit outputting more than that.

2nd: I didn't want to spend the extra $100+ for the steering wheel control module, so they are currently non-functional.

3rd: The radio shuts off when you shut off the engine. It no longer waits until your door is open.

4th: This is the last one. The dash readout no longer shows what radio station you are listening to, but you can't fix that no matter what you do.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by makav3li
Well i know on my 00 a6, they had to rewire the wires from the head unit to the speakers because of the german engineering but with the head unit i'm looking into this 1

http://www.dynavin.com/products/product_dnv_a4.php

its very oem look and u can still use ur steering wheel controls with it, and from what i understand its pretty easy to install.
thats a sweet replacement. know if its a direct swap for b7s as well? how much is it?

Old 05-28-2010, 12:34 AM
1st Gear

yeaa that is the b7 model, and its 700$, there is a big post on it at audizine.com and there is some awesome information onit right now...it doesn't look like its for sale right now cuz that link to purchase it seems to be broken but i guess u can get it somehow...but i know ill be buying that 1 for sure. And i believe all those problems posted above are all fixed with this, u get the radio/song info on ur dash and the steering wheel controls are fixed as well.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:59 PM

Does anyone know where you can buy this online? I've been looking but haven't had any luck...

Old 05-30-2010, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

pm that guy on that thread on audizine...the guy that created that thread and see where he got it...post back here and lemmi know what he says cuz im interested in that myself so that would be pretty cool.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:11 AM

http://www.dtm-spec.net/v2/product_i...roducts_id=513

this website sells it. Does anyone know how compatible these units are? do the steering wheel controls work? Any white noise interference ? over all performance?

im very interested in buying this...any advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-31-2010, 12:22 PM

bump^

Old 11-13-2010, 01:00 AM
1st Gear

Was about to make a thread about HUs but searched and found this one so I figured I'd bump it with my question. What type of aftermarket HUs are compatible with the B7? What is recommended for best fit? Would a place like BestBuy be able to install one with no problems? And I don't care about losing steering wheel control function.

Alternatively, are there any aux/iPod hook up solutions that don't require a new HU?

Quick Reply: Need some stereo head unit replacement info