B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Quattro in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 02:50 PM

same here! (of course i havent had the change to really challenge it in deeper snow) but i have cheap all season tires and havent gotten stuck. i have a lil trouble turning tho...

Old 02-11-2010, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

my first real serious snow driving experience happened here yesterday in Pgh. and I had a few scary moments with my A4. I was driving it in manual mode on the parkway which had a lot of snow and slush with ice beneath. The tail kept sliding out on me and taking me into the other lanes. At one point going around a downhill bend , I took it to 1st gear but still slid diagonally off the road and luckily into a snow bank instead of the rail. no damage.

It may be the turbo that im not used to but my old suburu impreza never had these problems. I just need some more practice I guess.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrblack66
my first real serious snow driving experience happened here yesterday in Pgh. and I had a few scary moments with my A4. I was driving it in manual mode on the parkway which had a lot of snow and slush with ice beneath. The tail kept sliding out on me and taking me into the other lanes. At one point going around a downhill bend , I took it to 1st gear but still slid diagonally off the road and luckily into a snow bank instead of the rail. no damage.

It may be the turbo that im not used to but my old suburu impreza never had these problems. I just need some more practice I guess.
what do you mean by manual mode? with the ESP turned off? or with the tiptronic?

try the same with ESP on. were all of the wheels on ice?

Old 02-11-2010, 05:13 PM
2nd Gear

Just take it easy. The quattro does great in deeper heavy snow. Let the ESP do its work. Also from my experience, take it easy around corners or when turning onto another road. Just like when you apply to much gas to a RWD car when going around a corner in snow, the backend of the quattro can sometimes slide out unexpectedly. A driver can get too confident and go to fast and that is how they will get into trouble with these cars. The quattro does a great job masking how nasty the road conditions really are.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

Dont mean to drag this thread on, but i tried looking up problems driving in the snow. I couldn't help but see that someone had trouble with the back end sliding out a little. I had the same issue last night.

It started to snow, I was driving and there wasn't much snow on the ground but my back end kept swaying left to right and kind of sliding out a little. Uncontrollably. I was confused by this and was wondering why its so bad in the snow. Well first off I do not have snow tires and i know that plays a big roll. But i feel that its not the only reason. Could a bad alignment have something to do with it as well?

Old 01-17-2012, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

If you are losing the rear end that easily, and you have decent all-season tires, I bet the roadway is icy underneath the snow. There's not much you can do about that but baby the accelerator,brake, and steering inputs like you are driving... on ice!!

Old 01-17-2012, 07:32 PM
1st Gear

Yeah I was being careful. At first it seemed like if I turned the wheel to the right and left on purpose to try and make the rear end slide out it wouldn't work at first. It would just catch. But the last time I tried it, it slid out and I almost hit a stone wall lol. let's just say I wont be doing that again.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:30 AM
1st Gear

Nothing beats a GOOD set of winter tires coupled with this car....Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 or Dunlop winter sport 3D...

Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 PM
2nd Gear

I now have snows on all wheels. With the snows, its virtually impossible to slide the back end out. Before the snows, the 17" Pirelli all seasons could let the back end suddenly slide out around a corner, just like a RWD. Scared me to death the first time it happened. Haven't had it happen since I was a kid with my parents RWD cars. With my new Continental Extreme Winter Contact snows, it won't do that anymore. And also, there is very little if any wheelspin from a stop, and the antilock brakes don't trigger anything like they use to. The car now stops unbelievably quick in snow conditions. I purchased the Audi winter tire/rim package from the dealer and don't regret it. Those narrower 16's they spec for the car corner, stop, and plow through the deepest snow. The snows work so well, that I can't have any fun in the parking lots anymore, which is fine with me. I'd rather not get stuck or wreck the car. Basically they work so well, I have to remember not to become overconfident, go way to fast, and really get myself in trouble. I also like the genuine Audi aluminum rims. They go good with the car, and don't look cheap. By the way if you do go the snow tire route, there are no steel rims made that fit the car. You have to get aftermarket aluminums, or genuin Audi.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:19 PM
1st Gear

only time I turn off the traction control is in the snow, much more fun that way

Quick Reply: Quattro in the snow?