B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Random Headlight Warning Light - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:17 PM
PRC
1st Gear
Default Random Headlight Warning Light - Please Help

I leased my car for three years with absolutely no probelms, and I loved it so much that I bought it a week ago. Since that time, I have been in the service center three times. Today, I took it in for a random "Dipped Headlight" problem that had been off and on. In sum, the warning light would tell me that my right headlight was dipped. I would turn the lights off and on again... problem solved. The more I read online, this seems to be a common 2006 A4 problem.

Now that the car is mine, I thought that I would have this fixed. Today, the service center replaced the Xenon "leveler," and the service tech cautioned me that the problem may be the bulb. Anyway, the leveler did not fix the problem, and now, I have the attached warning sign blinking at me at all times (even when the headlights are off).

Does anybody know what it means? The service tech thinks it is the dipped headlight notice, but I know that it is not.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Random Headlight Warning Light - Please Help-light.jpg  
Old 06-08-2009, 11:51 AM
PRC
1st Gear
Default Anybody?

Does anybody know what this means? There must be somebody out there who knows... then again, even my Audi service guy does not know...

Attached Thumbnails Random Headlight Warning Light - Please Help-headlight-warning.jpg  
Old 06-09-2009, 06:32 PM
PRC
1st Gear

For anybody who may have this problem, as it turns out, the warning light is caused by the "leveler." In the end, a new Xenon bulb fixed it.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by PRC
For anybody who may have this problem, as it turns out, the warning light is caused by the "leveler." In the end, a new Xenon bulb fixed it.
Question - I have the same issue and eventually the headlight went out completely. It's only the daylight/running light. Did you replace the bulb yourself?
Thanks,
Kim

Old 06-24-2009, 01:14 PM
PRC
1st Gear

Hi Kim,

No, the Audi dealer replaced the bulb. I had been to the dealer three times, and I refused to pay hundreds for a bulb (I felt, and still feel, that Audi should cover this as the "dipped headlight" problem has occurred since day one). The service technician did say that the light would eventually turn off completely. In the end, they probably got sick of me, so they just replaced the bulb as a "sign of goodwill."

I have never heard of this problem with daytime running lights as it seems to be a xenon issue. You can probably replace it yourself, but from what I hear, newer A4s require bumper removal to access the bulb assembly. Perhaps somebody else can chime in on this fact / myth.

On another note, now that I have a new leveler, a new right headlight assembly and right xenon bulb... yesterday morning, my left headlight was "dipped." This never ends...

Old 06-24-2009, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by PRC

I have never heard of this problem with daytime running lights as it seems to be a xenon issue. You can probably replace it yourself, but from what I hear, newer A4s require bumper removal to access the bulb assembly. Perhaps somebody else can chime in on this fact / myth.
You do not have to remove the bumper. The lamp assembly has doors on the back that allow you to change out the bulbs yourself. HOWEVER, it does require that you remove components to get to it. The bentley manual will share exact details (I had to change out a xenon bulb myself about a year ago...and yes..you guessed it...2006) Hold on to your receipts folks...I hear a recall coming...

The right side requires that you remove some air ducting, the left side requires the window wash reservoir and a few other things...but it can be done..get the manual!

Old 07-01-2009, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by PRC
I leased my car for three years with absolutely no probelms, and I loved it so much that I bought it a week ago. Since that time, I have been in the service center three times. Today, I took it in for a random "Dipped Headlight" problem that had been off and on. In sum, the warning light would tell me that my right headlight was dipped. I would turn the lights off and on again... problem solved. The more I read online, this seems to be a common 2006 A4 problem.

Now that the car is mine, I thought that I would have this fixed. Today, the service center replaced the Xenon "leveler," and the service tech cautioned me that the problem may be the bulb. Anyway, the leveler did not fix the problem, and now, I have the attached warning sign blinking at me at all times (even when the headlights are off).

Does anybody know what it means? The service tech thinks it is the dipped headlight notice, but I know that it is not.

Thanks!
Its the headlight Ballast and its located under the headlight. Check on Ebay, i bought one for $165 last march and that fixed it. I was having to flash the car headlights ON & OFF to keep the warning light off. If your headlights turn with the steering making sure you get the right ballast, 06-08 Audi A4/S4 TT Xenon HID headlight BALLAST Ignitor

Last edited by rodvega1@gmail.com; 07-01-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by PRC
Does anybody know what this means? There must be somebody out there who knows... then again, even my Audi service guy does not know...
My 2005 A6 had the same warning come on today, so you are saying it was the bulb on its way out ? I guess you need to wait and see which light goes out inorder to replace it.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:41 PM
PRC
1st Gear

In my experience, having this checked has caused more problems. If it happens infrequently (like mine), I would just use the turn off / turn on technique to fix it. For me, this problem only happens on start-up, so it never goes out during driving.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:08 AM
1st Gear

Yea I have tried to turn the lights on and off with no luck so far, it just contiues to blick while driving, and during start up you get that annoying beep to let you know there is something wrong. Is there any way to reset the blinking symbol apart from fixing the problem ?

Quick Reply: Random Headlight Warning Light - Please Help