B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Replacing Cam Follower...What else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Replacing Cam Follower...What else?

Swapping out my cam follower tomorrow. I bought the car with 79k back in November and have no idea if it's ever been replaced or looked at. I did go to change the diverter valve to the updated piston type after reading on here and come to find out it was already changed. Along with coil packs and pcv valve so I'm hoping if they knew to change that stuff that the cam follower was checked/changed as well.

Anything else I should do while I'm in there? Anything I should look at?

Old 03-07-2014, 06:01 AM
1st Gear

You'll be having the Timing belt,Water pump and tensioner replaced soon(100-110k) too.
Easier to have them done all at once since everything is apart.
Bet you're liking that Quattro up there in the snowbelt!!

Old 03-07-2014, 08:13 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Neal4007
You'll be having the Timing belt,Water pump and tensioner replaced soon(100-110k) too.
Easier to have them done all at once since everything is apart.
Bet you're liking that Quattro up there in the snowbelt!!
My car is going to the shop on Tuesday to get looked over again and I'm having the tensioner and belt replaced and the brakes flushed...

And yes last I looked we had Number 1 snowfall in the US, it was like 7ft so far total. I drive around some SUVs lol this car is amazing in the snow!

Old 03-07-2014, 09:53 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by afat08
Swapping out my cam follower tomorrow. I bought the car with 79k back in November and have no idea if it's ever been replaced or looked at. I did go to change the diverter valve to the updated piston type after reading on here and come to find out it was already changed. Along with coil packs and pcv valve so I'm hoping if they knew to change that stuff that the cam follower was checked/changed as well.

Anything else I should do while I'm in there? Anything I should look at?
The coil pack update was a while ago, so it's likely those were done, but not as likely that they did the PCV (along with the low fuel pressure sensor, and intake manifold runner motor) as that customer service action was later. The dealership should be able to tell you.

It's even less likely the cam follower was changed as that's not something Audi is taking the initiative on. I still don't understand why they're not swapping the $60 part instead of waiting for catastrophic failures, but they're not (as of this point).

The cam follower/HPFP is on top near the rear, so there's not a lot to take apart to get to it and not really anything else that you can "do while you're in there." But, maybe you meant while it's in the shop. In that case, I second what Neal said--if you don't have record of the timing belt service, do that (along with the water pump).

Old 03-07-2014, 11:08 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by KingWulfgar
The coil pack update was a while ago, so it's likely those were done, but not as likely that they did the PCV (along with the low fuel pressure sensor, and intake manifold runner motor) as that customer service action was later. The dealership should be able to tell you.

It's even less likely the cam follower was changed as that's not something Audi is taking the initiative on. I still don't understand why they're not swapping the $60 part instead of waiting for catastrophic failures, but they're not (as of this point).

The cam follower/HPFP is on top near the rear, so there's not a lot to take apart to get to it and not really anything else that you can "do while you're in there." But, maybe you meant while it's in the shop. In that case, I second what Neal said--if you don't have record of the timing belt service, do that (along with the water pump).
Sorry about the confusion about the coils and PCV. I do have the service records from previous owner that those were changed.

My next move will definiately be the timing belt service and water pump. I can have that done on Tuesday in the shop. The cam follower I am doing myself today because I have the time and the part/hardware

Old 03-07-2014, 10:31 PM
1st Gear

Yeah I took my car to audi wednesday and they refused to inspect the cam follower because the car wasnt throwing any codes despite the follower being damaged along with the other parts.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:32 PM
1st Gear

And yeah they basically told me I have to wait for the car to mess up and throw codes before they even consider looking at it

Old 03-08-2014, 05:01 PM
1st Gear

Ya I don't go to Audi here. I go to a private individual who specializes in Porsches but does others as well...BMW, Audi, Maseratti...He's very good, knowledgeable, and reasonably priced (about half of Audi dealerships here)

I tried changing my cam follower yesterday only to realize the 12pt M8 I had did not work in the banjo bolt (came in a cheap set) so I had to close it all up and redo it today. The swap went successful and the follower that was in there didn't appear to me to be in too bad of shape but did show wear so it was good peace of mind, I will try and post a picture later. I use a new o-ring and bolts from ECS as well for the hpfp.

I did drop the bit after torqueing the banjo bolt back in place, and it was a SCARY feeling. But I was able to successfully find and remove it from where it landed with a pen magnet. All in all, for anyone contemplating on doing this at home it's not very hard but it is not a job you can not rush through. Take your time and don't drop bolts/bits! Also, definiately take the time to wrap a rag around the fuel lines before taking them off of the hpfp, I'm glad I did because there was a decent amount that came out and I was able to just throw it outside so I did not have to smell the fuel.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:19 PM
1st Gear

Here's some photos of my old one

Attached Thumbnails Replacing Cam Follower...What else?-img_20140308_182843_626.jpg   Replacing Cam Follower...What else?-img_20140308_182915_239.jpg  
Old 03-09-2014, 11:03 AM
1st Gear

Wow lucky! I checked my cam follower last week and it was done! Whole right through that bish. So now im just waiting For the motor to blow up so audi can replace it under warranty because its not throwing any lights right now. While trying to put the banjo bolt on I also dropped it and I thought it fell inside the bell housing haha I was Trying to find it for an hour. It fell in a weird spot but I was able to retrieve it. Definitely a scary feeling

Quick Reply: Replacing Cam Follower...What else?