B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

SD Card - More than 2 Gigs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:30 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy SD Card - More than 2 Gigs?

Howdy - Anyone had any luck using more than a 2.0 Gig SD card? I gots like 80 gigs of tunes I needs to liberate...Only two 2, gig slots is harshing my mellow.... Peace.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:24 PM
2nd Gear

Heh, that's a lot of music! You may be better off just plugging in an iPod.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I could do that, but then I'd have to use the ipod interface to skip ahead, etc. I like using the steering wheel controls, LCD, and would have to remove Satellite Radio hookup, apparently - or get some kind of splitter, if it exists...

Old 01-16-2009, 07:50 PM
2nd Gear

noooo u forfiet the 6 cd changer to have the ipod intergration

its a little sketchy tho because the interface is still a 6 cd changer the first 5 ''cd's'' are your first 5 playlists and cd 6 is your entire library you can still use your wheel to select songs and whatnot

Old 01-16-2009, 07:51 PM
2nd Gear

but i would def go ipod intergration if u wanna keep stock everything because no way is 80 gig gonna be supported on any two sd cards

Old 01-17-2009, 04:59 PM

You can still fit over 500 songs on a 2GB, just occasionally swap out the songs or keep a couple SD cards around with you.

500 songs is more than enough for day-to-day driving.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:34 AM
1st Gear

Thanks, DMFAN. That sounds promising. I never use CD's anymore anyway. That we be cool to have all my tunes in my ride. I wonder how easy the 6 disk changers come out - can't be too hard, right?

Old 01-22-2009, 06:18 PM

Quick question you guys may have an answer, I am looking at a 2005.5 a4 and I wanted to know if it had an audio input jack anywhere because I have a Zune and I don't really like those fm transmitters. I looked all over the car because my mother's Mercury has one in the center console. Any clues?

Old 01-22-2009, 06:34 PM

Any SD card larger than 2Gb is generally designated SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity.) More devices now support them, but you can still run into issues with card readers and most certainly any AV equipment you have.

Does anyone have a full write-up on the iPod integration?

Old 01-28-2009, 01:29 PM

I have a 2005.5 and I put a bunch of songs on 2 2GB SD cards and put them in. I had read that people said there was a limit of like 400 or 500 songs so i only put about 300 songs on each (was also less than 1.5GB). Once they all loaded I noticed that some of the songs were not on the list because I wanted to listen to them right away. Only like two out of about 30 songs by that artist actually showed up. I went back to my computer and removed a bunch of other songs except the ones I wanted to show up. When I put my cards back into my car I only had the same two songs show up out of the 30 or so. I'm trying to figure out why it seems to be ignoring some songs. Could this be a bit rate issue? Some of my songs have variable bit rates and some are constant. I know that entire albums will be the same bit scheme though so I don't understand if the bit rates are an issue why one out song out of an album would show up and the rest don't if they're all the same. Anyone else having an issue with not everything showing up?

Also, sometimes when I start my car and the SD cards finally get loaded (after a few minutes) if my stereo is just waiting to play the mp3s they will skip when they finally start. Like the first two or three songs I choose will skip and then eventually they will not skip once I've selected several songs. If I then go back to those initial songs after playing several others that didn't skip, they will also not skip anymore. I say "skip" as in the song is pausing for a small amount of time and then playing again. I used to think maybe it happened because it starts playing songs from the first card to get loaded and then it's having trouble because it's still trying to load the second card while the first card starts playing. I was thinking this because my nav and everything else acts really slow when the SD cards are loading.

Any help on these issues would be great. I would love to know if anyone has info/links to more technical details about what is acceptable for song formats/bitrates and all that kind of stuff.

Quick Reply: SD Card - More than 2 Gigs?