B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Stereo replacement. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 04:29 AM
1st Gear
Default Stereo replacement. Please help.

Hi guys,

Proud owner of two B7 A4. Both have the crappy original stereo that won't even play MP3. I am going to change both to a 2-DIN navigation system. But that is not as easy as I thought.

Every 2-DIN mounting frames I find online is for the B7 which either has the bigger original 2-din stereo size or the original navigation system (which is 2-DIN). I have the third version of the A4 stereo which is a 1-DIN stereo with the buttons for AC, seat heat etc. etc. moved up a bit so that there is a pocket between the ashtray and the AC control panel. As you know there is no such pocket if the 2-DIN audio stereo or navigation system is installed.

Please see the attached pictures.

For me to install a custom 2-DIN navigation/DVD player and mount it, it looks like I have to move the AC control panel all the way down in a similar way as shown in the other two pictures. I guess I need to change the panels surrounding the buttons. But where can I get this new panel? And how do I mount the AC panel further down? Do I have to customize something or do I simply screw it in to the walls?

Anyway, I guess you see my problem. I would love to figure this out and buy what ever panels or mounting frames I need to upgrade my stereo. As I am sure I need to get some parts for this I hope you can give a name, production code or even a link to a web shop or something to help me out.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Stereo replacement. Please help.-my-car.jpg   Stereo replacement. Please help.-big-stereo-version.jpg   Stereo replacement. Please help.-gps-version.jpg  
Old 09-29-2011, 08:14 AM
1st Gear

I was in an Audi shop discussing today. I found out that there is not just as simple as changing the panel on the 1-DIN AC/climate control unit. I have to get a AC controll unit for the 2-DIN. THe 2-DIN insert frame was easy to get and cost me aprox 100 USD from Audi. The 2-DIN climate unit cost almost 2000 USD!! I live in Norway by the way and everything here is a lot more expensive.

Anyway, seems I need to get a used one somewhere. Do any of you guys know of a place I can order it? Anywhere is ok.

Still interested to discuss this with any of you that has been through this process. Any advice/help is appreciated.

Going on ebay to search....

Thanks!

Old 09-29-2011, 08:46 AM
1st Gear

Found several on ebay germany. Found 2-din install frame as well. I think I have it now guys.

Wierd thread. Just talking to myself

Old 09-29-2011, 09:43 AM
2nd Gear

That's more than I'd bite off. I actually wish I had only the 1-DIN unit. I'd replace it with a nice USB-capable/iPod controller head unit like I had in my Mustang.