B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Things to look for when buying an 05.5 (B7) A4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Default Things to look for when buying an 05.5 (B7) A4?

Hi all,
I'm looking in to buying an 05 1/2 B7 A4, but I'm not sure what to look for when I go check it out in person. The car has 62,000 miles on it, so I'm not sure if it's due for a major maintenance overhaul or something like that.

Here's some questions I have specifically:
1) Do the first 2.0T A4's have more reliability issues since they're the first of the B7's?

2) What are the most common issues with the 05 2.0T's? I would hope he got the common / big items fixed when the car was under warranty...

3) When are the milestones for major tuneups / maintenance checks? I have tried searching for this online and came up totally empty. Things like timing belt replacement, when it needs a brake job, etc.

4) What are some tips on what to look for or ask about the car? I'm worried I might miss something that will cost me a few grand if I don't know what to look for going in.

5) Are any major issues I find my problem once I purchase the car? If he sold me a car that has a major flaw, am I just totally screwed?

Any help is MUCH appreciated!

Here's the description:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T in dark silver/grey with black leather interior and silver trim. Sport package with 17" alloy rims, moonroof, 12-way dual power seats, HomeLink, 6 cd-changer. 62k miles, all freeway miles, always serviced at the dealer for regular maintenance. Clean title, no accidents, great condition, will sell for $16,500 or best offer! Looks & runs great, Well maintained, Power everything, One owner, No accidents, Maintenance records available, Highway miles, All scheduled maintenance, must test drive!

Installed Options

* Driver Air Bag
* Anti-Lock Brakes
* Air Conditioning
* Alloy Wheels
* Cruise Control
* CD Changer

* Passenger Air Bag
* AM/FM Stereo Cassette
* Leather Seats
* Power Door Locks
* Power Mirrors
* Power Windows

* Power Steering
* Power Seats
* Side Air Bag
* Sunroof/Moonroof
* Tinted Glass
* Tilt Wheel

Mileage 62,000
Exterior Color Gray
Interior Color Black
Engine 4 Cylinder Turbo
Transmission Manual

Old 10-16-2008, 08:24 PM
2nd Gear

I don't know what to check for, but you can get the maintenance schedule here: http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/audi

Not sure if you'd be '05 or '06, so you might want to check both.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by eMacPaul
I don't know what to check for, but you can get the maintenance schedule here: http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/audi

Not sure if you'd be '05 or '06, so you might want to check both.
Thanks! This is a great start.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:39 PM

Anyone else?

Old 10-20-2008, 03:50 AM

[][][]

Old 10-20-2008, 09:34 PM
1st Gear

Buy it!

Old 10-20-2008, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by phosphateb
Buy it!
I would like to, but I want to know the answers to the above questions. Can you help me out?

Old 10-20-2008, 11:27 PM

If the car has had all scheduled maintenance performed and recorded, then you could print out the service schedule for the car's model year and check that against the the maintenance records. Don't take the owner's word for everything, if he says all maintenance has been done then you need to exercise due diligence and verify that.

There are a few service bulletins that should've been performed by now on a 3-4 year old car, (for instance one pertaining to an o-ring in the back of the engine block, to take care of a small coolant leak - known issue with 2.0Ts but it's not quite a major issue to be honest) and the records should show that.

I wish I could remember more detail about all the known hiccups with Audis, but I'm not an Audi tech anymore. Sorry if I can't be more help there.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by kovachian
If the car has had all scheduled maintenance performed and recorded, then you could print out the service schedule for the car's model year and check that against the the maintenance records. Don't take the owner's word for everything, if he says all maintenance has been done then you need to exercise due diligence and verify that.

There are a few service bulletins that should've been performed by now on a 3-4 year old car, (for instance one pertaining to an o-ring in the back of the engine block, to take care of a small coolant leak - known issue with 2.0Ts but it's not quite a major issue to be honest) and the records should show that.

I wish I could remember more detail about all the known hiccups with Audis, but I'm not an Audi tech anymore. Sorry if I can't be more help there.
Thanks for the input. Do you know where I can find the known issues so that I can get them checked out?

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2008, 09:47 AM

The only place online I know of is Audi's service tech website but I don't have access to that anymore.

Quick Reply: Things to look for when buying an 05.5 (B7) A4?