B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Thoughts on this 2008 Audi A4

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 06:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Thoughts on this 2008 Audi A4

Hey everyone! I am so excited to be posting here! I am also excited about the possibility of owning an Audi. I have been looking hard for a new car, and I was of course looking at the BMW. But, they are overpriced and not as cool as they once were, and so many people have them. I want something fun and interesting. Then, a friend happened to say something about Audi and it clicked! Thus, I began my search and came up with a few cars in my area. Here is one of them that really caught my eye. After the link below I have a few questions for the group:

Cars for Sale: 2008 Audi A4 2.0T Sedan in Sarasota, FL 34233: Sedan Details - 312232336 - AutoTrader.com

1. The Carfax is free and seems to say very good things. It also says it is priced a little too high. What would be a fair price for a car in this condition and stuff?

2. I noticed the red brake calipers. Nothing is mentioned about them in the description. Do you think those are a good thing, or a liability? Any thoughts?

3. Do the pictures show a car that was taken care of or one that may need some TLC?

4. I have read all the stickys for newbies on the site, but, most of the stickys pertain to older models (late 90s-early 00s). Anything in particular to note for THIS model year?

5. Anything else?!?!

Thanks so much in advance, everyone!

Jeremy

Old 12-29-2011, 07:20 PM
2nd Gear

Look at the "Things to Know" sticky at the top of the B7 page. The car seems a bit expensive to me with that mileage, and only being FWD. You may want to drive both a FWD and a quattro. The quattro does make a big difference. I had that same FWD car as a loaner, and didn't like it. It didn't take much to break the front wheels loose on dry pavement, and the CVT automatic seemed to make the turbo lag really noticable. It happened to snow while I had that loaner, and the car handeled and drive like a bigger version of my terrible in the snow Jetta I use to own. I was really missing my quattro which was in the shop for some minor work. The FWD only comes in a CVT, and the CVT has had trouble in the past.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Tech Guru

Looks to possibly have upgraded fronts and painted rears or possibly both painted. Hard to tell I'm mobile.

I agree with the quattro over fronttrash. 6 speed over autotragic.

Wait and find the car you really want don't settle

Old 12-30-2011, 08:06 AM
2nd Gear

I would drive a quattro. Once you do, there won't be any going back. I drove both and the quattro handled much better hands-down. You also get a real auto transmission (6-spd) in the quattro. The FWD has a CVT (I'm not a huge fan).

Also, as others have said, that seems a bit high for that car. Maybe if it was a CPO, but if it's not an Audi dealership selling it, it won't be.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:43 AM
2nd Gear

Looks like a nice car. That is exactly what I traded out of this year, a black FWD CVT. That was my wifes daily driver and I hated the CVT. I was driving my GTI at the time with the same motor only it was lighter and had a DSG trans which are awesome.

Unfortunately I am from that area in Florida and it is way harder to find an AWD. FWD will handle a bit worse but it will be fine for normal daily driving. If you want to mod up the car I would keep looking.

Any Yes read my stickey.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:55 PM
1st Gear

Hey everyone. Thanks so much for all the helpful info. Because of all the fantastic assistance, I have decided to wait and find a Quattro. I trust all your opinions and feel I should get the best. Thanks!

Jeremy

Old 01-05-2012, 04:48 PM
1st Gear

Not only Quattro, which is worth it's premium, getting a 3.2 V6 may be worth the wait and for that money and mileage, you should get both. Sure, the turbo can be made faster, but it's not always about straight line performance, the 3.2 will be smooth and consistant power and in the twisties where you are constantly taking your foot on and off the gas, the 3.2 will feel more confident and the exhaust note is worth the price of addmission, also bragging rights, the new A4's don't have this option.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:16 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by buellwinkle
Not only Quattro, which is worth it's premium, getting a 3.2 V6 may be worth the wait and for that money and mileage, you should get both. Sure, the turbo can be made faster, but it's not always about straight line performance, the 3.2 will be smooth and consistant power and in the twisties where you are constantly taking your foot on and off the gas, the 3.2 will feel more confident and the exhaust note is worth the price of addmission, also bragging rights, the new A4's don't have this option.
did he say 3.2? I think I just threw up in my mouth.

3.2 has 234 ft pounds stock vs a stock 2.0t's 207 ft pounds.

A chipped stage 1 for $600 gives you 292 ft pounds of tourqe. This makes it not even a close contest, not even mentioning the HP.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

Are you kidding me, that's too slow, a chipped stage 1 turbo on the 3.2 gives you 373 ft pounds of torque, why settle for noisey whiny 4 banger with with only 292, not to mention the HP.

The point is, life is not a drag race, it has turns, turbo lag takes all the fun out of driving the twisties. If you want to go fast, bypass the A4 and get and S4.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:54 PM
2nd Gear

The 3.2 motors are harder to find in the A4. Might take a while to find one you want. Also cars with those motors tend to be loaded with every bell and whistle, so be prepared to spend quite a bit. The 3.2 engine is also heavier, which affects handling on these cars. On most Audi's with the exception of the (A3 and TT), engines hang in front of the front axle. That is the worst configuration for front to rear balance in a car, and the heavier 3.2 hanging in front of the axle, will only increase this imbalance. Increasing the chance of exhibiting the handling characteristics that a FWD car can have. The S and RS had the default torque split changed to bias the rear, to help counteract the problem. The B8 body had the powertrain reconfigured some to slide more of the engine weight rearward, and all B8's also bias torque to the rear, like the S and RS in the B7 generation.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this 2008 Audi A4