B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

2011 8 speed transmission experiences

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 09:53 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mcfa4
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I am considering a 2011 a4. Own a 2008 now and use the tip at least 70% of the time. My question is are there separate shifts for all 8 gears when using the tip? Asked the dealer and got the deer in the headlights look.
Yep. Separate shifts for all 8 gears.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:09 AM
1st Gear

Hey, I was wondering if that was where your question was going, yea when switch on the tip it gives you the gear you are in on the display and you get all 8. I really haven't explored the tip much, when you use it, how high in the rpms do you go before you shift? My auto shifts so low, like 2k or under so anytime I have it in tip I am always feeling like I should shift low but if I had a manual, I am sure I would be working it harder which would make the car feel much faster as I am sure it would respond nicely to some revs! Very curious where you are shifting on the tip. Maybe I will try it more.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:13 PM
1st Gear

My 11 A4 has 900 miles now, I sometime felt it shifts down really slow as I approach red light (kinda keep pushing the car forward), not sure if anyone else experienced the same.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jmcn3rd
Hey, I was wondering if that was where your question was going, yea when switch on the tip it gives you the gear you are in on the display and you get all 8. I really haven't explored the tip much, when you use it, how high in the rpms do you go before you shift? My auto shifts so low, like 2k or under so anytime I have it in tip I am always feeling like I should shift low but if I had a manual, I am sure I would be working it harder which would make the car feel much faster as I am sure it would respond nicely to some revs! Very curious where you are shifting on the tip. Maybe I will try it more.
When I've used the tip, I usually let it get to around 4k rpm. With 8 gears its a lot of shifting if you keep it around 2-3k. If you want to wind out a little more try putting it in S instead of D. I still dont have that many miles on it yet, so after the engine breaks in more I'll try winding it out and see what happens.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:59 AM
1st Gear
Default Clunky at low speeds

Originally Posted by dfwdfw
My 11 A4 has 900 miles now, I sometime felt it shifts down really slow as I approach red light (kinda keep pushing the car forward), not sure if anyone else experienced the same.
I am having a similar experience. I have been doing some testing the last couple of days. I try to accelerate at the same pace and when I hit 10mph I switch it to the tip to see what gear the car is in. It is almost always in 3rd, sometimes 2nd. At that speed I would never expect it to be out of first.

When slowing down I have done the same and always find the gears to be higher than I would expect ( this is where I mention I am no expert, but from years of driving a stick I have a feel for how I would do it ). Several times ( but not always ) when I am slowing down just using the breaks or letting the car coast the car for a while doesn't seem to be shifting down, then all of the sudden when it gets really slow it starts to shift and it actually makes the car shudder. Should a car actually make the occupants physically jerk forward/back because of shifting? In my opinion no.

So I think at low speeds the car upshifts to quickly and and downshifts to slowly ( or maybe it shifts to quick, but waits until too late and has to shift through multiple gears to get to where it wants to be ).

Again, they are my non-professional observations of my car... really the only fault I have with it so far - however it has been less then two weeks.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by theoven
I am having a similar experience. I have been doing some testing the last couple of days. I try to accelerate at the same pace and when I hit 10mph I switch it to the tip to see what gear the car is in. It is almost always in 3rd, sometimes 2nd. At that speed I would never expect it to be out of first.

When slowing down I have done the same and always find the gears to be higher than I would expect ( this is where I mention I am no expert, but from years of driving a stick I have a feel for how I would do it ). Several times ( but not always ) when I am slowing down just using the breaks or letting the car coast the car for a while doesn't seem to be shifting down, then all of the sudden when it gets really slow it starts to shift and it actually makes the car shudder. Should a car actually make the occupants physically jerk forward/back because of shifting? In my opinion no.

So I think at low speeds the car upshifts to quickly and and downshifts to slowly ( or maybe it shifts to quick, but waits until too late and has to shift through multiple gears to get to where it wants to be ).

Again, they are my non-professional observations of my car... really the only fault I have with it so far - however it has been less then two weeks.
Mine does not stutter, but you can definately feel it shift a little hard...this only happens at slow speeds..usually when I am decelerating.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:06 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by theoven

I concur. I feel that at lower speeds, this transmission is constantly in a higher gear than I would have picked in manual mode. Makes the car feel like it's always working just a tad too hard to deliver the torque.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:17 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

After having our 2011 Avant Premium Plus for a little over a week I feel I can lend my opinion now on how I feel about the 8spd transmission/tip-tronic/paddleshift.

It does, to me, seem to shift quite a bit. As someone else mentioned, when going only 10-15mph and you would expect to be in, at most, maybe 2nd gear, the car has already shifted itself into 3rd gear.
Also, at time when I am coasting to a red light, or towards slowing traffic up ahead (and coming to a stop) the car will shutter/shake, almost violently, as it shifts to lower gears. This has only happened twice, in the roughly 500 miles I have put on it, and will have to monitor the occurrences and adjust for this if needed.

It is definitely a different experience, and one I'll have to adjust to for a little while. The car still seems to manage enough power and speed at the higher gears/lower speeds, however, when you hit the gas and put your foot down.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:35 PM
1st Gear

All right, I am just going to come right out and say it. I #$%#%@ hate this transmission. So much so that I would gladly give back this otherwise fine car in a heartbeat. It has only been two weeks into this car which I should be enjoying the glow of my new purchase, instead I feel like a I got bent over.

Still the same issues from before, but even more so. Maybe I am just paying extra attention to it. However, I did have a new experience today. Stopped at a light, was sitting there for about a second, maybe two when the car finally figured out I was stopped and downshifted twice. That really should not happen. Yesterday I was stopped, hit the gas, the car shifted down and then went forward. Something is seriously wrong in my opinion with this 8 speed transmission. I really can't wait for the customer satisfaction survey people to call me.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:10 AM
1st Gear

I'm taking mine in for its 5k service next week. I intend to complain about the transmission, but I expect they'll tell me that "they can't do anything about it".....

Quick Reply: 2011 8 speed transmission experiences