B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

2013 A4 loud pop from audio system

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:23 AM
1st Gear
Default 2013 A4 loud pop from audio system

I have a 2013 A4 and am having an issue where there will occasionally be an extremely loud pop that sounds like an electrical short coming from the audio system.

This occurs regardless of source (happens on satellite, bluetooth, etc) and is at the same extremely loud volume (I would say the maximum volume of the audio system) regardless of the volume setting.

I've reported this problem to the dealer who says that Audi is aware of this problem but does not know how to fix it at this time.

This happens once or twice a week and is extremely startling when it happens. Imagine driving down the road and suddenly there is a loud BOOM with no warning.

Has anyone else seen or heard of this?

Thank you!

Old 03-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Tech Certified

what sound package do you have in your a4?

Old 03-20-2013, 11:14 AM
1st Gear

It is a 2013 premium plus with navigation option. It does not have the B&O upgrade.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:50 AM
1st Gear

Sounds like a loose connection in or to the amp.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Tech Certified

no its a software problem

added this.. so you know whats going on,

The problem originates in the HD radio code, which can create a “resetting” within the radio unit. Because the tuner is always active in the background, the problem can occur regardless of the audio source or if the HD radio is on or off. It can also occur at any point that the MMI is on, but not necessarily active. For example, say you open the door and the MMI starts up. Even though the system is not “on” because the ignition is not active, the tuner is running and can create the effect.

Last edited by EthanB5( auditek); 03-20-2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 03-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Tech Certified

hey man, i know it can be annoying and its eatnig at you, but Audi engineers are working on a software update, that will fix it. im sure you love every other aspect of the car!
i kind of dont like how the dealership made it seem like no big deal, it does suck because that cant fix it but they should have given you more detail, and they should have you on a call list for when the software comes out, they will call you so you can go in and get it taken care of asap!

Old 03-21-2013, 02:36 PM
1st Gear

Thanks so much for the info Ethan!

Old 03-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Tech Certified

no problem!

Old 04-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by bporch
Thanks so much for the info Ethan!
hey thought i let you know, yesterday i got an e mail there is a temp. fix on that "poping" noise you are hearing. now the audi engineers are still working on the coding correction BUT they keep running into bugs.

but now they can recode you radio to were it turns off the HD radio tuner. that way the poping goes away for now.. BUT!! you will not be able to listen to HD radio stations.. it is ONLY a temporary fix NOT permanent!!

that is a big thing they are stressing, they just took this step to try to keep the customers satisfied during the unexpected longevity of trying to fix the problem. so if you want to go to your dealer and have them do that they can.. they should have access to the TSB!

it doesnt take long you should be able to wait an hour for it on a saturday like today! ( i jsut recoded one in like 20 minutes )
aso this is completely up to you if you want the hd radio deactivated,

KCCO!

Last edited by EthanB5( auditek); 04-13-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

Any updates on this issue? Over the last few days, the frequency of the radio stutter and loud pops has increased substantially. It seems as though this has been going on for quite some time and that a solution should have been released by now.

denismcd
2012 A4 2.0T

Last edited by denismcd; 08-01-2013 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 A4 loud pop from audio system