B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

A4 Avant Towbar fitting - electrics problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 06:01 PM
1st Gear
Question A4 Avant Towbar fitting - electrics problems

Evening! I've had my 2015 (B8.5) A4 Avant for a year now, and recently fitted a towbar. I decided to do it myself, being an engineer and all - how hard can it be (!!!!)

The mechanical installation went well - took a while but I was being careful.

The electrical installation was a bit trickier - the Westfalia dedicated wiring kit I went for came with a manual that consisted only of diagrams that were quite vague in places.

Anyhow, I followed them carefully, and am fairly sure I done it correctly (aside from the last step of splicing a wire onto a +15V wire going to the electronic parking brake - it only implied that it should be a black wire, so that's what I spliced it onto).

After reconnecting the battery, and before doing any coding, I turned on the ignition and got fault warnings for the TPMS, ESP stability control and electronic parking brake.

I'm a bit panicked by these! I'm not sure if I've done something wrong, or if the car has simply detected the towbar electrics are now connected and is waiting to be recoded, or if those alerts are normal after disconnecting the battery.

I took the car for a short test spin, and everything seemed to work ok, although the parking brake and ESP warning lights stayed on, as did the TPMS warning.

I tried to store the tyre pressures to see if that resolved the TPMS issue, but it said that it couldn't store the tyre pressures due to a malfunction.

I was also unable to turn the ESP on while driving. The parking brake seemed to work ok though....

I'd be really grateful for any advice/expertise anyone could offer here? I have an OBDEleven Pro that I've recently bought - I'm still very much an amateur with this stuff though. I wanted to do the install myself to learn something new, but now wondering if I've been too ambitious.