B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Advice on keeping A4

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 06:10 PM
1st Gear
Cool Advice on keeping A4

Hi All,

I own a 2010 A4 Prem Plus with 37k miles that I purchased used last summer. This is my first German/Luxury vehicle and I have enjoyed driving and looking at, as it is a beautiful car. My previous car was a Scion tC that I used to trade up the the Audi. Even though I enjoy my A4, I can't help but have an uneasy feeling about my beloved car. I have been to the dealer more than I would have liked. Most of the issues were minor like my visor clip, my tail lights went out twice, windshield washers and of course the oil consumption issue. The dealer completed the phase 1 fix for the oil consumption but I'm approaching 1200 miles since and I'm going to have to add oil soon. Additionally, I was shocked that the 35k mile service was almost $800.

The source of my unease rests in my thoughts about the future and having this vehicle after the warranty is out. After the trips to the dealer over this year and a half, I'm imagining a future of more of the same. As a result, I've been looking at more boring vehicles like the new Accord and Fusion but have been hesitant to pull the trigger, fearing I will not be happy with the adjustment.

What do you guys think? Am I being over concerned or is my unease even a little justified?

I know everyone here loves their Audi, as do I, just searching for a little advice from some Audi vets. Thanks.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Braudham
Hi All,

I own a 2010 A4 Prem Plus with 37k miles that I purchased used last summer. This is my first German/Luxury vehicle and I have enjoyed driving and looking at, as it is a beautiful car. My previous car was a Scion tC that I used to trade up the the Audi. Even though I enjoy my A4, I can't help but have an uneasy feeling about my beloved car. I have been to the dealer more than I would have liked. Most of the issues were minor like my visor clip, my tail lights went out twice, windshield washers and of course the oil consumption issue. The dealer completed the phase 1 fix for the oil consumption but I'm approaching 1200 miles since and I'm going to have to add oil soon. Additionally, I was shocked that the 35k mile service was almost $800.

The source of my unease rests in my thoughts about the future and having this vehicle after the warranty is out. After the trips to the dealer over this year and a half, I'm imagining a future of more of the same. As a result, I've been looking at more boring vehicles like the new Accord and Fusion but have been hesitant to pull the trigger, fearing I will not be happy with the adjustment.

What do you guys think? Am I being over concerned or is my unease even a little justified?

I know everyone here loves their Audi, as do I, just searching for a little advice from some Audi vets. Thanks.
Try looking at a Lexus IS AWD

Old 02-27-2013, 07:16 PM
1st Gear

I have the same question about my 2010 A4 CVT. My warranty runs out in Oct. The CVT transmission has gone from occasionally annoying to bad. The car lurches and jumps when I try to start quickly after stopping quickly. I have a feeling I'm going to have to replace the transmission in a year or two. That will be expensive. I'm thinking about selling it and buying something much less expensive. Don't want to put any cash into the new car, so it will have to be a big step down from the Audi.

Last edited by LA_Desi; 02-27-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by LA_Desi
I have the same question about my 2010 A4 CVT. My warranty runs out in Oct. The CVT transmission has gone from occasionally annoying to bad. The car lurches and jumps when I try to start quickly after stopping quickly. I have a feeling I'm going to have to replace the transmission in a year or two. That will be expensive. I'm thinking about selling it and buying something much less expensive. Don't want to put any cash into the new car, so it will have to be a big step down from the Audi.
I actually just got rid of my A4 and went with the new Mazda 6. I had the same issues as you with the CVT and if I could go back I would have made sure to get the Quattro. I drove a Quattro version of the A4 last month while my Audi was at the dealer getting a second oil consumption test and it was a lot more fun to drive than the CVT. If it wasn't for the oil consumption, I might have kept the vehicle. My service advisor told me that the next step would be to replace the rings, then if that didn't fix it - replace the pistons, etc. At that point I decided that I could no longer keep the car. The thought of a new engine having to be torn down like that just did not sit right with me. When I purchase the Audi, I was planning on keeping the car forever.

I like my Mazda, it's a cool car but you will notice the difference coming from the Audi. The interior and feel of the Audi just spoils you. I am just now getting to point where the car is starting to feel familiar. I went through withdrawals for about 3 weeks. LOL!

The good news is that I'm not worried about my car anymore. Everyday I would worry about when my Audi warranty ran out and how much it was going to cost me when it broke or to do the maintenance. Also, I can use regular grade fuel again.

If you are going to get rid of it, just know that it will take about a month to adjust to the difference between the cars (if you go non-luxury) but if you are looking for piece of mind and lower maintenance costs then you'll be ok. Good luck.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Braudham
I actually just got rid of my A4 and went with the new Mazda 6. I had the same issues as you with the CVT and if I could go back I would have made sure to get the Quattro. I drove a Quattro version of the A4 last month while my Audi was at the dealer getting a second oil consumption test and it was a lot more fun to drive than the CVT. If it wasn't for the oil consumption, I might have kept the vehicle. My service advisor told me that the next step would be to replace the rings, then if that didn't fix it - replace the pistons, etc. At that point I decided that I could no longer keep the car. The thought of a new engine having to be torn down like that just did not sit right with me. When I purchase the Audi, I was planning on keeping the car forever.

I like my Mazda, it's a cool car but you will notice the difference coming from the Audi. The interior and feel of the Audi just spoils you. I am just now getting to point where the car is starting to feel familiar. I went through withdrawals for about 3 weeks. LOL!

The good news is that I'm not worried about my car anymore. Everyday I would worry about when my Audi warranty ran out and how much it was going to cost me when it broke or to do the maintenance. Also, I can use regular grade fuel again.

If you are going to get rid of it, just know that it will take about a month to adjust to the difference between the cars (if you go non-luxury) but if you are looking for piece of mind and lower maintenance costs then you'll be ok. Good luck.
What you went through is very similar to my situation. I like the way my A4 feels and looks. The handling is very nice. But I am very worried about the CVT breaking down in the near future. So worried that I'm seriously thinking about selling it and buying a cheap Honda, Toyota, or even Kia.