B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Audi B8 take off

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 01:39 AM
Default Audi B8 take off

Hey everyone,

I recently bought the new Audi A4 B8 (automatic), and I'm really loving it! I had a concern however, which hopefully you guys can help me out with. As I take off with my car, after braking, there is a slight "lag," as the throttle is not too responsive. It takes a few seconds before the car actually begins to move after stepping on the accelerator, and once you step on it a bit more, it immediately takes off. It feels as if the brake is still holding on for a few seconds after you let go of it. Is this only my car, or is it typical with most Audi's? Thanks alot!

Old 08-29-2009, 09:45 AM

I have noted a slight amount of lag but, from your description, it sounds like yours is much more pronounced. Is it more of a simple lag or an engine "stumble"?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 AM
Banned

Welcome and congrats on your new Audi. From what you describe I think it's just the turbo lag. It's more noticable when you hit the gas hard from a stop, right? When I just accelerate easily from a stop there's no lag but sometimes when I hit the gas hard from a stop, there's the delay. To reduce the lag you can drive in S mode. It's sportier and higher revving though. Or you'll just learn to cope with the typical turbo lag. I'm not sure if I still get the lag or if I just learned to avoid the lag or if I just don't notice it anymore. :-)

Old 09-01-2009, 05:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Not Turbo Lag

I've read elsewhere in this forum that this is actually a programming problem with the drive by wire system. The car is searching for the appropriate gear and it stumbles. I have noticed that if I am coming up to a stop, for example, but, before I get fully stopped, it is time to take off (like a red light that turns to green right then), the car will flutter/stumble/cough and then take off. It is really disconcerting. According to what others have read, Audi is aware of it and a chip reprogramming is coming.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:23 PM
1st Gear
Default excuses

these excuses posted for a poorly performing transmission are crap...it is 1 of 3 problems I currently have with my new $45k Avant...it is simply inexcusable.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:33 PM
1st Gear
Default I agree--inexcusable

My Audi dealer told me this was "normal" for 1.8T and 2.0T cars. I agree it is inexcusable for a car of this class. My previous two Audis (2.8 non-turbo A4 and 2.7T allroad) have never required me to apologize for their startup performance.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:26 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by scosbyar
I've read elsewhere in this forum that this is actually a programming problem with the drive by wire system. The car is searching for the appropriate gear and it stumbles. I have noticed that if I am coming up to a stop, for example, but, before I get fully stopped, it is time to take off (like a red light that turns to green right then), the car will flutter/stumble/cough and then take off. It is really disconcerting. According to what others have read, Audi is aware of it and a chip reprogramming is coming.
okay - I just posted in another area about the turbo lag in my new A4. It's actually rather dangerous, because first there's a one second delay and then the car LEAPS through the intersection. there's way too much power when making left/right turns.

I've mostly driven BMW's and I've never encountered this problem in a car. Friends (one who drives a Porsche) who've taken my car for a spin are rattled by it. and, to be honest, some have actually said they wouldn't buy an Audi after driving mine! This is NOT good PR for Audi's, m'fraid.

I've already been into the dealer once about this question. This is very valuable information. thanks for posting. As you can imagine, I'll be headed back down to the dealership - again.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by esandes
Welcome and congrats on your new Audi. From what you describe I think it's just the turbo lag. It's more noticable when you hit the gas hard from a stop, right? When I just accelerate easily from a stop there's no lag but sometimes when I hit the gas hard from a stop, there's the delay. To reduce the lag you can drive in S mode. It's sportier and higher revving though. Or you'll just learn to cope with the typical turbo lag. I'm not sure if I still get the lag or if I just learned to avoid the lag or if I just don't notice it anymore. :-)
I'm having the same issues, and I'm definitely not hitting the gas hard from the stop. I've tried every which way to play with the accelerator from the stop. I've adjusted to it a bit. But for this kind of money, I shouldn't have to work so hard. : )

Old 09-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Banned

I don't have the same issue any more. Combining that the car has:
-drive by wire
-turbo
-computer for the engine that adapts/learns the way you drive

I think it takes some time to smooth it out. Scoosbyar mentioned something about a fix. Maybe the problem was corrected one of the times I brought it in for the scheduled maintenance. Whatever the reason, it has not been hesitating from a stop for some time now.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:23 AM

I had the same problem and i hated it, went to the dealer and after few test drives with the tech supervisor they came to a conclusion that this is normal with the A4 2.0T. After chipping the car with APR, AWE diveter valve and installing the sprint booster, no more lag what so ever plus way more hps and torque. I love it :-)