B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Bang & Olufsen Sound System for 2011 A4

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Bang & Olufsen Sound System for 2011 A4

OK, I promise...it's my last mod!

On my 2011 A4 Premium Plus, I decided to go with the 18" Sports Package and I'm now wondering if the Bang and Olufsen sound system is worth an extra $11 per month on my lease payment. I am a big-time music lover and the magazines and online reviewers as well as most folks who own the system seem to love it. I'm a little concerned about the few people saying that it limits the volume and that you can't hear the music with the windows open. I like the Beatles, Classic Rock and the like and I don't generally blast the stereo to deafening levels, but I don't want the radio limiting me on the few occasions that I want to crank it up. The $11 is not the issue. Paying $11 for beautiful music that I cannot hear is. I'd love to hear from folks who have the B & O system...help me out!

Old 02-25-2011, 10:26 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by warrenh
OK, I promise...it's my last mod!

On my 2011 A4 Premium Plus, I decided to go with the 18" Sports Package and I'm now wondering if the Bang and Olufsen sound system is worth an extra $11 per month on my lease payment. I am a big-time music lover and the magazines and online reviewers as well as most folks who own the system seem to love it. I'm a little concerned about the few people saying that it limits the volume and that you can't hear the music with the windows open. I like the Beatles, Classic Rock and the like and I don't generally blast the stereo to deafening levels, but I don't want the radio limiting me on the few occasions that I want to crank it up. The $11 is not the issue. Paying $11 for beautiful music that I cannot hear is. I'd love to hear from folks who have the B & O system...help me out!
I have the B&O and having enough volume isn't a problem.

Frankly, if you need more volume than it provides, you will be messing up your hearing.

Now what people might be complaining about volume-wise, is the low frequency output. The B&O system is decent, but it isn't going to give you high quality aftermarket subwoofer levels. If you want people to hear you coming a block away, you will be disappointed.

If you consider yourself an audiophile or a music enthusiast, pay the extra $11 a month. You may not be 100% happy with the B&O, but you certainly will be even less so with the stock system. Your only other option is aftermarket and that's up to you if you want to splice wires on a leased vehicle. Personally, I wouldn't.

Last edited by Slee_Stack; 02-25-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:44 AM
1st Gear

No aftermarket stuff for me. I'm looking for high-quality, crisp sound...not boom-box levels. If I can play jazz and discriminate each instrument with it being muddy, I'm a happy guy.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:46 AM
1st Gear

I meant without it being muddy of course.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:25 PM
1st Gear

The B&O has made some of my mp3s sound quite bad. Sometimes that is a tell-tale sign that the hardware is actually doing a transparent job of passing along any source imperfections.

Or it could just be the system mucking up my pristine mp3s!!

I rate the B&O system a 6/10. Against purely OEM systems...probably an 8-9.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Still a bit confused

Slee Stack, I appreciate your responses but I must admit that I'm now even more confused. The B & O System is an $850 option. A 6 out of 10 doesn't sound so great. If it's not a 9 or a 10 compared to the original equipment stereo than I'm not sure that it's worth it. I want the B & O system if it's night and day, without question better than the standard system. I want to be blown away. If I've got to question the sound when playing MP3's or whether or not I can turn up the volume, or anything for that matter, I can't see what I'm paying $850 for?! Thoughts?

Old 02-26-2011, 08:47 AM
1st Gear

Slee Stack, I appreciate your responses but I must admit that I'm now even more confused. The B & O System is an $850 option. A 6 out of 10 doesn't sound so great. If it's not a 9 or a 10 compared to the original equipment stereo than I'm not sure that it's worth it. I want the B & O system if it's night and day, without question better than the standard system. I want to be blown away. If I've got to question the sound when playing MP3's or whether or not I can turn up the volume, or anything for that matter, I can't see what I'm paying $850 for?! Thoughts?
My post above was probably worded poorly. I meant to say that a good system setup can make poor source material (mp3s or other heavily compressed formats) sound bad. In other words, garbage in - garbage out. If your CD recording is crap, you should expect to hear crap on playback. Cheap stereo gear can color the sound and actually make a crappy source file sound 'better'.

I honestly think the B&O is doing a fine job of presenting the source material more-or-less transparently. That's a good thing.

I gave it a subjective rating based on car stereos in general. Its better than the average car stereo I've heard...therefore a 6. Now thats all car stereos good and bad. I've heard and owned many aftermarket systems that are very good...and a few that were just chosen poorly or done cheaply or wrong. You shouldn't expect the B&O to compete against a well-done aftermarket setup.

Compared to OEM stereos I again subjectively rated it an 8.5 (8-9). I can't give it a 10 because I've owned one better OEM one. I think this is what you are concerned with and I think the B&O does well against stock OEM systems that I've personally heard and owned.

I can't give it a relative rating against the A4 stock system though because I haven't heard the stock system in detail or for long enough time.

If you won't be going aftermarket and you do care about the sound, I do recommend you get the B&O. Only you can determine if $850 is worth the price of admission. For me, it is, but I am hesitant to say that $850 couldn't buy you better in the aftermarket. I wanted the best sound with no fussing with factory wires..ergo B&O.

Why don't you take a listen between the stock and B&O at a local Audi dealer? Then weigh if the sound difference is worth the $11/mo. To put it into value consideration, think of it as choosing between having a Stock + Sirius radio subscription versus having B&O + foregoing Sirius. Does the B&O add the same value to you that a Sirius subscription does? Each would cost you roughly $11 more per month...

Last edited by Slee_Stack; 02-26-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

I am extremely pleased with B&O system. I listened to them both within minutes of each other using my iPod (192b) and the difference is substantial. I don't think I've ever heard a better factory sound system. Forego a couple of latte's and get the upgrade!

Old 02-26-2011, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

Not a big latte drinker, but for $11 a month I think the B & O is probably a steal. I've been listening to the upgraded "premier" audio system in my 2008 VW GLI and it's fine...except when too much bass makes the door panels humm obnoxiously. I've never owned a really great car stereo although I have spent more money for higher wend home audio. I'm not a super audiophile but I do like nice sounding music. I heard the standard Audi system and it was fine. I'm hoping the B & O system is several steps up from fine..

Old 02-27-2011, 08:30 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Ti22Avant
Forego a couple of latte's and get the upgrade!
Not a big latte drinker, but for $11 a month I think the B & O is probably a steal...
I just drink coffee and $11 would take away about a half a dozen coffees each month. I couldn't do that!

One good thing if you do get the B&O...you won't be wondering 'what if I only had...'.

Quick Reply: Bang & Olufsen Sound System for 2011 A4