B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Getting 2011 A4 2.0T Prem Plus What should I know?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 03:11 PM
jlp
1st Gear
Question Getting 2011 A4 2.0T Prem Plus What should I know?

Hi there.

First time Audi owner. Got it from my grandpa (well it's in transit from the midwest) and it's set to arrive in a few days. I'm wondering. What should I know about it?

-I hear there's an oil consumption issue? Is that a thing on the 2.0T 2011 Quattro? Does audi pay to remedy this? Something about lawsuits?

- It has about 72K of mostly highway miles. AFAIK, all required maintenance work has been done, and was always done by the Audi dealer. A friend is a VW mechanic and said he'd check it out. What should we be looking for?

-Snow tires? I live in NH and snow is a thing. On previous AWD cars I'd put blizzaks on them (a 2007 WRX, and a a 2004 Forester)

-How are these on the highway/for commuting. Right now I put an annoying 84 miles per day round trip on a 2011 Tacoma pickup truck, and it takes it fine, aside from... well being a gas-guzzling truck. I'd like to use this as my new commuter car, since aside from the transport and registration cost, it's pretty much free.

- Assuming that 91 octane or better is required like any other turbo car?

-Extended warranty from a 3rd party a good idea?

-Any other hints? I've got audi loving friends who say It'll do fine until 100K and then the costs start the mount up. I've got audi hating friends who tell me to just sell it asap, and get a civic as a commuter car instead. What would you all do?

Old 10-28-2016, 02:40 PM
3rd Gear

I bought my 2011 with 99k miles and now have 126k. It's an MT6 and consistently runs 27 mpg in mixed driving and over 30 on the highway. In the last 10k it started to burn more oil -- putting in a quart every 400-600. When I do a lot of highway driving, it does not use as much. I assume cold starts consume more oil. In spite of it, it is a great car. Just make sure you change the oil every 6k miles and use full syn. Yes, premium is recommended although it will run fine on midrange (gas mileage is a little less).

I do not believe in auto warranties. If it is well maintained, you are better off banking the money and using it for repairs if/when they come up.

I'm in SW Michigan and we receive 100+ inches of lake effect annually. I run all seasons with no problems but Blizzaks would be even better. My A6 and this car are phenomenal in snow.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:02 PM
1st Gear

Would love to know what your thoughts are now. I purchased a 2012 18 months ago and have sunk $3k+ into the car. Although, I am quite used to it, being a lifelong used VW owner. I would say maybe ~$500 was due to general maintenance. wheel bearing that I could have driven the 9 hours round trip to get fixed "free" by the dealership I bought it from, missing tranny mount bolts (think they fell off at some point in the 3 months after I purchased, as the dealership took tranny out to replace clutch), and oil changes that got done while it was in the shop for other stuff (So could have done it cheaper elsewhere).

I thought 2012 was "out of the woods" for the timing thing, but, from what I understand (I could be wrong), MT used the same "old" engine code, while ATs got updated.

I put 17" (1" smaller than A/S) blizzaks on my car for winter. always have had winter tires in my VWs, and figured I'd continue now, even with the AWD.

Unsure I if I "regret" purchase or not, as I'm still not done dealing with the timing issue, so we'll see. Love the car otherwise, and as I said, quite used to it, from owning other VAG vehicles.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:38 AM
3rd Gear

I have owned the car a little over 5 years now and just turned 142k. It is still tight and I have encountered zero problems EXCEPT the oil consumption has become worse. I now have to add oil every 250-400 miles depending upon how much stop/start I do (the more cold starting; the more consumption). I strongly considering rebuilding the engine but my trusted indie suggested replacing it for about $8k and after doing the math, I figured it was cheaper to buy four gallons of oil/year. I should note that I store this car during summers (and drive a couple Chrysler Crossfires) and use it for winter driving with Continental all-seasons. I did replace the oem battery last spring. Besides doing regular oil changes, the one behavior that seems to have helped is my obsession with avoiding potholes and sunken manhole covers, as well as slowing down over railroad tracks. I believe it contributes to keeping the suspension and drive train in good shape.

I am unaware of any "timing" issues, just the oil consumption.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:31 PM
1st Gear

The oil consumption is a concern. There was a recall to fix that, but my car unfortunately had over 80k miles when I really started seeing it and reported it to the dealer. When I did, they said I missed the window. So now I just make sure I carry a few quarts with me at all times. My ignition coils have gone on me twice, which seems odd to me. Other than that I love the car.