B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Help Needed! Pulled Motor and timing chain is perfect but motor would only Chug

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 11:16 PM
1st Gear
Default Help Needed! Pulled Motor and timing chain is perfect but motor would only Chug

Hey guys, Just picked up a 2009 a4 Premium with the 2.0T motor for my daughter. Car was running fine and just died on her. Took to Audi and was told timing belt jumped and in order to diag it completely they wanted 1600 bucks to take head off and 5500 for a head and 9k for a new motor. I purchased a used low mileage "complete" motor online for 2600 bucks.

We get the original motor out and all of the guides and chains look perfect. Scoped motor and it looks good too, valves and pistons are in great shape. Motor turns freely as well. Audi put new pistons, guides chains, and an updated hydraulic tensioner in it not even 500 miles prior to car shutting down on her. BTW: when car died the sound was just like that of a motor with no compression, was turning but would slowly chug. Motors out now and i never done a compression check, what should i do????

Last edited by inaudiwetrust; 01-31-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:58 AM
1st Gear

Can anyone chime in? Again everything was in tact when i pulled motor. timing chain, guides, new updated tensioner,and chain itself all 100% in tact, no play in chain or nothing. I'm half tempted to put it back in and do a compression check. Gonna check my starter this afternoon though.

If your wondering why i didn't check it out in the 1st place is because Audi had just done piston work not even 600 miles and 2 weeks prior, i didn't want to fiddle with it and have them come back and say i screwed it up. This is crazy,

Last edited by inaudiwetrust; 01-31-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:19 PM
1st Gear

I gotta admit you are the 1st person I have ever heard of to pull a motor because it stopped. You didn't mention what codes were present in the OBDII nor if you did the normal diagnostics such as spark , fuel and compression. I would suggest you now have a major problem. If the motor turns over you can do a compression test with it on the floor by hot wiring the starter. Other then that you would need to reinstall the motor and go through normal diagnostics.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by inaudiwetrust
Hey guys, Just picked up a 2009 a4 Premium with the 2.0T motor for my daughter. Car was running fine and just died on her. Took to Audi and was told timing belt jumped and in order to diag it completely they wanted 1600 bucks to take head off and 5500 for a head and 9k for a new motor. I purchased a used low mileage "complete" motor online for 2600 bucks.

We get the original motor out and all of the guides and chains look perfect. Scoped motor and it looks good too, valves and pistons are in great shape. Motor turns freely as well. Audi put new pistons, guides chains, and an updated hydraulic tensioner in it not even 500 miles prior to car shutting down on her. BTW: when car died the sound was just like that of a motor with no compression, was turning but would slowly chug. Motors out now and i never done a compression check, what should i do????
If Audi rebuilt the motor 500 miles ago, why aren't they diagnosing this on their dime....surely there is a warranty!!!

Old 02-07-2016, 09:13 AM
1st Gear

Yes: Audi is the one that told me that the motor had jumped time. They also said that because of the after market oil filter that they were unable to honor any further warranty.

Since my last post I figured out what happened to original motor: Crank pulley had play in it causing drive belt to jump off which overheated the motor. Chug on startup was coolant in cylinders. Audi takes no responsibly at all.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by inaudiwetrust
Yes: Audi is the one that told me that the motor had jumped time. They also said that because of the after market oil filter that they were unable to honor any further warranty.

Since my last post I figured out what happened to original motor: Crank pulley had play in it causing drive belt to jump off which overheated the motor. Chug on startup was coolant in cylinders. Audi takes no responsibly at all.
As far as I know there are 2 filters acceptable to Audi. One is the OEM filter and the other is the Mann filter . So I would throw the BS flag at Audi.
Next if you had the pistons replaced 500-600 miles ago and the crank pulley came loose then that sounds like an assembly problem by the dealer. Does the crank bolt have thread lock on it. I would press the dealer. About the used engine the place you bought it from should guaranty it runs. Go ask them how they tested it before they sold it to you.