B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

HELP: Should i order the 6 speed manual or the automatic!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:39 PM
1st Gear
Default HELP: Should i order the 6 speed manual or the automatic!!

I am heading to the dealer in the morning to order a 2009 A4 2.0T with the S-LINE package with chip upgrade in brillaint black. Should i order the 6 speed manual that has just become available or the automatic??? I have never owned a audi before, this will be my first. I know many people are very educated on Audi vehicles on this site and I would appreciate some feedback from everyone. Thank you
p.s. this is the vehicle i test drove(not the one i am ordering) sorry about the pic it was taken from my camera phone.

Attached Thumbnails HELP: Should i order the 6 speed manual or the automatic!!-1230081238.jpg  
Old 01-04-2009, 02:08 PM

Six Speed Manual all the way. I have an '08 MB C300 with the six speed and love driving it...more than the A4 actually. Audi has always made pretty decent shifting gearboxes so I wouldn't be afraid of the feel. My A4 is an auto since had to have at least one auto in the family....

Old 01-04-2009, 02:30 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

Thanks poppy, that is what i was leaning towards(6 speed manual) although i might have to wait an extra month for it , which sucks but "it is what it is". I am currently in a bmw x5 automatic and my prior car was a 6 speed manual bmw 330i which was a blast. maybe i have forgotten how fun the stick is since having the x5

Old 01-04-2009, 03:18 PM
1st Gear
Default go with the manual

I just purchased an automatic and am lusting after the manual... I would have held out but I was in a situation where I had to buy right away and the manuals were not going to be available in time.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

i hear ya JKR. congrats on the new ride. i think i am leaning toward the 6 speed manual although the automatic is very responsive. which model did you get? color? how do you like it?

Old 01-04-2009, 04:47 PM

go manual!

Old 01-04-2009, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 2009A4Sline
i hear ya JKR. congrats on the new ride. i think i am leaning toward the 6 speed manual although the automatic is very responsive. which model did you get? color? how do you like it?
i'm pretty happy with it... wish i could have gotten the 10-spoke wheels and the memory seats and self-dimming rear view mirror that come with the prestige package but the higher price point didn't justify it for me. the tiptronic is interesting but definitely not a replacement for the manual feel.

i got a 2.0 quattro with heated seats, ipod, symphony, all in deep sea blue pearl. i'm a former bmw guy who is not happy with the design of the newer models.

i would definitely hold out for the manual. that would totally make this car in my opinion. the automatic has that daily driver feel, whereas i'm more of a daily racer.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:20 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the input stang. I decided i am going to order the manual. hope i am getting a good price 650 a month 12k a year tax and title up front.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:07 PM
1st Gear

That is a little pricy. I was in the same shoes as others here when I took delivery of my 09 A4 in early December. I had a 265HP beast with 6spd manual. I then was forced to get into a '06 Mercedes C230 AUTOMATIC fully loaded for only $320 incl. tax 36mo lease. It was a killer deal that I couldn't pass. Every second I drove that car, I wished I had a stick shift. My lease was ending before the '09 A4 6spd manual would come out, so I had to get into an Automatic again. I would recommend a manual to anyone, but consider this.

The automatic that I just leased is a $44K MSRP Prestige with Nav. After $3K total money out of pocket and $518/mo for 36mo lease and 15k miles/yr, I think I got a pretty good deal. The only way I got it, was because I had leverage. I called from dealer to dealer, asking each if they can beat the other's pricing. I had this leverage, because they are all desperate to sell right now, and there are plenty of cars to go around, especially now. During hard economic times, they have stock piles of cars that are not selling.

However, if you do decide to get a manual, you will not have this leverage. Manual cars are scarce, and you would have to order one. Dealers will know this, and know that you cannot go elsewhere. You will end up getting a worse deal on a manual than you would on an automatic right now, even though the manual is more than a $1,000 cheaper.

Consider this before you buy. As I mentioned earlier, I am paying $518/mo for Automatic. When I was looking for quotes on a manual with the same specs I was getting $600/mo. *Prices are including tax.

If money is not a factor, MANUAL ALL THE WAY.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by pazo; 01-05-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the input Pazo. I had gone to many dealers here in NY and even went as far as new jersey and nobody could beat that deal, as a matter of fact most wouldnt even match it. I ordered it today. 2009 A4 2.oT with the prestige package navigation and full s-line package. in brillaint black. I was quoted 650.00 a month with tax and fees up front coming out to around 3200.This quote was also on a automatic. I went in today to order(only after stopping at one last dealer , who also couldnt match the price) I told my salesperson that i changed my mind and wanted to order the manual now that they have become available and after meeting with the manager he came back to tell me the new price is 635.00 a month. ( the manual actually lowered the price by 1200.00 . all said and done I got the car for 500 below invoice. remember this is the full s-line package exterior/interior. I added a pic of a red s-line that i test drove, not the color i ordered

Attached Thumbnails HELP: Should i order the 6 speed manual or the automatic!!-0103091233.jpg  

Quick Reply: HELP: Should i order the 6 speed manual or the automatic!!