B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

high performance exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 04:18 PM
1st Gear
Default high performance exhaust

Im looking for suggestions on a high performance exhaust setup that will complement the Stasis tune. The sound means nothing to me so just trying to get the most HP and tq. Thats my main goal!

Ive heard that catback is mostly useless when talking about power, so i likely will not get this. Ive also heard that turboback is best followed by just a downpipe alone.

Ive looked at Stasis, apr turboback, apr catback + downpipe, milltek catback with downpipe, apr downpipe alone.

Any other setup out there? Remember hp and tq are my main goals. Thanks.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:23 PM
1st Gear

Btw, car is a daily driver and needs to pass smog in California

Old 01-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Former Sponsor

I may be a bit biased, but I would give the AWE Tuning system a listen. It offers gains of 9hp and 7tq, is made in-house at AWE Tuning and comes with a lifetime warranty. Check it out, right here.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Will/AWE
I may be a bit biased, but I would give the AWE Tuning system a listen. It offers gains of 9hp and 7tq, is made in-house at AWE Tuning and comes with a lifetime warranty. Check it out, right here.
That sure is much different than the stock setup. As opposed to someone like APR who I feel hardly changes the sound of the car. thanks. i want to do a little research and see what I find. i'll post my comparos here. thanks again.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:16 AM
1st Gear

I Agree with Will/Awe AWE Tuning system is pretty legit.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:54 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the recommendations fellas!

My thoughts so far.

Milltek- ill need an S-line valence because they are only dual exhaust. I dont like dual exhaust because its just adding more weight to the car. They also dont report any performance figures.

APR- they do offer the single exhaust but the downpipe is 3". Ive heard that 3" is way to big for this car. They also dont report performance figures

AWE-im glad they report performance figures. Ill need a dual exhaust valence. Not sure about the pipe diameter. My main issue is the disclaimer at the bottom pretty much saying that the downpipe is only for racecars and is not street legal.

So stasis and milltek look like the better options so far.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:27 PM
1st Gear

So i've been doing a ton of forum surfing on exhausts.

Most people seem very unhappy with Stasis, APR, Milltek. AWE was usually the exhaust people seemed to like.

Stasis - i don't like that they don't provide any details of the system online. is it catback, turboback, who knows. I might have found one or two satisfied people in all of my forum surfing. many unsatisfied. $1495, and i doubt that cost includes the necessary dual exit valence

APR - They have single outlet so no need to buy a valence. Read lots of negative opinons on these guys as well. and these opinions came from people who tried several exhaust setups. catback system is $1299. AWE gets all their power from catback exhaust so i need to compare apples to apples.

Milltek - no price quote on website, i think u have to call the installer. negative feelings throughout forum threads. i think u also have to purchase a dual outlet valence

AWE - the clear crowd favorite. I don't think i read a bad review. The other exhuasts seemed to have issues with drone, fitment, etc. This catback exhaust is $1099. no need to buy downpipe because they state that it adds no performance. just deepens the tone and makes it louder. this is also the only exhaust that backs up the performance increase claims with dyno tests. They are a meager 4-5hp at the wheel, but at least they report it.

After reading all the threads I'm now leaning towards AWE. The only problem, is that they don't seem to be street legal. And I live in CA of all places so i think our emission restrictions are the toughest. Performance wise an exhaust definitely doesn't seem worth it. I would always tell people this. But im starting to like the idea of hearing the engine. audi did a great job with sound insulation, but i find myself wanting to hear more of the car. especially when i make videos at the track. the last videos i made were almost completely silent with the exception of some tire squealing.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Our B8 A4 exhausts do not effect or modify the factory catalytic converters in any way, so emissions will not be an issue.

Last edited by Andrew/AWE; 02-07-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 PM
1st Gear

i was able to find #'s on a Stasis Exhaust

+9hp for stock tune
+15hp for Stasis tune

Im pretty surprised at this claim of 15+hp, i had no idea an exhaust could do that. even though its probably at the crank, thats still a heck of a jump

id have to buy a different rear valence though, making this one extra pricey

Old 04-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Claims of +15hp after software is not unreasonable. When you put software on the car, the turbocharger is running hotter, so getting rid of this excess heat by improving flow is important. Things like Downpipes and Exhausts greatly improve flow while maintaining appropriate backpressure to keep the system working flawlessly. Lower heat in this instance translates to more power.

Quick Reply: high performance exhaust