B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...
View Poll Results: Which should we get, the A4 or S4?
Get the 2011 A4 and chip it
40.00%
Get the 2011 S4
60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

New A4 vs S4

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:04 PM
1st Gear
Default New A4 vs S4

Hello folks, with my wife's B5 A4 getting a little old in the tooth.. 235k miles! We are looking at getting a new Audi. Firstly, I am (was) a BMW guy. But given Audi's new cars, I must say that I have become a fan.

Anyway, we were thinking of getting a new 2.0T A4 and then chipping it with APR. OR getting an S4 straight out. Obviously, the S4 is much more money than a chipped A4. We were just thinking that since the A4 will be more of the "commuter car", that we would want the better gas mileage. We're not that interested in the A4 as being the "sports car" since we have the other dedicated cars for that.

Do you think the S4 is worth it? Or go with the A4 and chip it?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:51 AM
1st Gear

Go with the A4 and chip it. If it's just a commuter car save the money. And the S4 is strictly manual I believe, so if you drive in the 9am-5pm rush hour traffic it might be an annoyance for you and your wife I'm not sure. Car&Driver ask the same question after testing both cars and they picked the A4 over the S4.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:39 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ******** A4
Go with the A4 and chip it. If it's just a commuter car save the money. And the S4 is strictly manual I believe, so if you drive in the 9am-5pm rush hour traffic it might be an annoyance for you and your wife I'm not sure. Car&Driver ask the same question after testing both cars and they picked the A4 over the S4.
Do you know which article in Car&Driver said this? I'd like to check it out. Thanks!!!

Old 08-07-2010, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ******** A4

S4 is NOT strictly manual....you can definitely get it with an automatic (7-speed dual-clutch S tronic).

I subscribe to C&D and read it cover to cover (a couple times) every month...I never read, nor can I believe, that they picked an A4 over the S4.

Having said that, if you're not interested in all out performance and just want a good commuter car with decent gas mileage, get the A4.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:51 AM
1st Gear
Wink

Originally Posted by audi40
S4 is NOT strictly manual....you can definitely get it with an automatic (7-speed dual-clutch S tronic).

I subscribe to C&D and read it cover to cover (a couple times) every month...I never read, nor can I believe, that they picked an A4 over the S4.

Having said that, if you're not interested in all out performance and just want a good commuter car with decent gas mileage, get the A4.
Yea, like I said I wasn't sure about an AT option. And I do read car&driver cover to cover every month. And I know for a fact that car&driver picked the A4 over the S4. And now I must find it to show you guys. And honestly would this be the first time you were shocked at C/D deciscion? They picked it mainly because the a4 is cheaper, better MPG, not to far down on power

I couldn't find the one I was looking for but I think this link will help with the original post more. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html

Last edited by MasterB8 A4; 08-07-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:37 PM

C&D named the S4 to their 10 Best list, but left the A4 off. Seems hard to believe they'd recommend the A4 over the S4.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...audi_s4_page_2

I understand the cost savings for a commuter car though...

Old 05-31-2012, 12:46 PM
1st Gear

anything i have ever read says the S4 is the best car you will ever drive. i'm also facing the same challenge you are. my TT is acting like any hot girl you have ever dated--looks great on the outside, but is behaving like a cat turd. i'm thinking i might go S4 if i can swing it.