B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Second Key

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:02 PM
AJA
1st Gear
Default Second Key

Sorry in advance for asking a question that has probably been asked several times, but I've done a few searches and couldn't find anything.

So, is a dealer really the only way to get another key? I just bought a 2010 Audi A4 and it only came with one key (not the advanced one). According to the Audi website, it seems so if everything is ran through a database of theirs; I'm nowhere near one of the listed authorized independent places.
Audi of America > Owners > Owner and Vehicle Assistance > Smart Key Replacement

Old 08-02-2012, 11:00 PM
1st Gear

AJA, Have you found a solution yet? I recently tried buying a fob on ebay and just took it to the audi dealership today. they printed out a sheet saying that the key was not being accepted. apparently theres some special VIN coding on the remote at the factory and that they just sync up the key. the estimate was 220 for the key and 125 for the programming. i had to pay 125 just for them to try programming the key i bought from ebay. please tell me if you have any info. I am having a really hard time finding information on this kind of stuff.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:50 PM
1st Gear

When I took delivery of my car (in 2009, it was brand new), I was given only one key. I demanded the 2nd key, and eventually got it. I know that it was several hundred dollars, but the dealer gave it to me free since the car is supposed to come with two keys.

Mine is advanced key, also.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:56 PM
1st Gear
Question

I bought a Second Key on ebay for my 98 Audi A6 got it cut for cheap at my local locksmith, But now i went through the steps i found online to program it, only to end up that my remotes made my whole security system hay wire. like wise i programmed both keys it unlocks and locks maybe 3 times then nothing happens after that, I programmed just one key this time and again me the same results. I put the key in the door and it only unlocks and locks the front drivers door not any of the other doors, When it does work it doesn't set the alarm. I am stuck and puzzled
Any suggestions on what i should do?

Old 09-03-2012, 12:30 PM
1st Gear

I lost the key for my '98 B5 A4q. I was told to expect to pay about $400 for a new remote fob and key. Luckily, it turns out that the key/fob for the '98 and earlier cars is much less costly than those for the '99 and newer cars. The parts manager at a local dealer cut the key for me on the spot and programmed it and my "extra" key to the car for approx $185 which, under the circumstances, I thought was reasonable.