B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

What's the verdict? -Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:31 PM
1st Gear

Ok after learning that the oil consumption test is a multi-visit process, I had my phase II of the test done and the conclusion is that it passed

Passed means that the electronic measurement shows consumption is .26 quarts/ 1K mikes. According to the dealer, projecting this out means that I should need to replenish 1qt /4K miles...... just short of the scheduled maintenance interval at 5K miles. So I should expect to have to do an oil change between scheduled maintenance intervals. I am not sure this makes sense to me... Turbo or no Turbo. Opinions?

I wish we could get an authoritative answer to this issue. People seem to be having different experiences, with some not happy with the consumption level.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:09 AM
1st Gear

With all the oil consumption it makes you think how useful a catch can would be. You don't want all that oil in the intake and intercooler.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:35 PM
1st Gear

I talked to my dealer today and they mentioned that over 1200 miles was considered by audi within the normal oil consumption range - whether or not we believe that is considered normal (or acceptable) is a different question, but Audi believes it is. However, I mentioned that I noticed my consumption to be around 3,000 for almost 30K miles, but then it dropped dramatically to below 2,000. With that, they are allowing me to bring my car in for a consumption test. I will let you all know how it goes.

In talking about potential fixes, the service person mentioned that usually a replacement breather valve and updated software usually fixes the issue. So here are my questions for people who had had this fix:

1. Does a different breather valve mess up the boost from the turbo? (it seems like it would if it releases pressure as a different psi interval).
2. Is the software update anything more than them just updating the point at which the Warning Light goes off? (That would seem to defeat the purpose of a warning light letting you know when the oil is low)

Old 06-13-2012, 04:37 PM
1st Gear

I unfortunately am part of this club. I purchased my A4 from Audi North Austin and the service team said it is "normal" to use 2 quarts between services...which I find ridiculous. Had to get Audi involved for them to actually start taking me seriously. I took my car in for a bad ingnition coil and they started phase I oil consumption test as well. Hopefully they figure out a solution. I'm with most of you here, no way that a new car should consume that much oil.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:06 AM
1st Gear

It appears to be a crap shoot with these engines. From an engineering perspective the design of the turbo bearing lubrication system along with the PCV system leave something to be desired. Based on this design ALL 2.0 engines will use some oil. Any automotive company that would state oil usage in their owners manual recognizes there are flaws with the engine design. Consider this , how is is possible to manufacture as many 2.0L engines and still recognize that loosing a quart of oil every 1200-2000 miles is normal. The overall car is very good with the exception of the oil consumption. My kid had a 2007 that when we traded was using 1 qt. every 1200 miles. We bought it with 24K on it and changed the oil every 5K miles. It avg. 3-4 quarts per oil change. We traded for a 2009 with 21K miles on it and so far the MMI oil graph and the dip stick say it has used 0 oil in a little over 1000 miles. I'll give you an update in a month or so. For anyone wanting to purchase an A4 just recognize that they all burn oil but the degree on how much will differ. Just as a reference here I have worked on cars as a hobby (including race engines both foreign and US) for a little over 50 years. German machinists had been know for their expertize in fit and finish. This problem leaves some doubt. My 2 cents from a professional mechanical engineer.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:18 AM
1st Gear

i was looking at buying a used 2010 A4, but judging from this oil consumption problem, it doesn't appear to be a good idea.

does this problem persist in the 2011, 2012 models?

Old 06-21-2012, 07:57 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ricktsd
i was looking at buying a used 2010 A4, but judging from this oil consumption problem, it doesn't appear to be a good idea.

We looked for a low mileage A4 3.2 but couldn't find one in our area. I would suggest you look for one instead of the 2.0. The car is great with the exception of this issue. It's not to bad a problem if you don't mind adding a quart or two over 5000 miles. Remember if you get 1200 (Audi thinks this is acceptable) miles on a quart you are putting 4 quarts in per 5000 mile oil change. That's about $30-$40 extra on oil. Your choice.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:05 PM
1st Gear

We've had our 2011 for 16 months now. The problem didn't occur for us until about 2 months ago.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

It's more of an engine issue than a MY issue. Go with a 3.2 if you are that worried about it, but the 2.0t is a better engine... even with the Oil Consumption issue.

I had a consumption test and they replaced a breather value, seal, screw, and did a software update. Granted I only had this done a little while ago, but after 2,000 miles, it still says 100%, so the fix seems to have worked.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:07 AM
1st Gear
Default Finished with the A4

Sorry to do it but I got rid of my 2009 A4. Was using 1 qt every 1,100 miles and Audi said this was normal, however they wanted to replace pistons and rings. On a 2009 I thought that was a bit much so I moved on before it got worse and based on other experiences (here) where after a point nothing was done. Dealer said "have you thought about a new car" but never stepped up to the plate. Moved on. I mss the A4 but feel relieved.

Quick Reply: What's the verdict? -Oil Consumption