B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

What's the verdict? -Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 01:22 PM
1st Gear
Default 2009 A4 2.0 T Oil Consumption

I just purchased an 09 A4 2.0T a little under a month ago and I have had to put in 3 quarts of oil in it already. I have driven less than 1,000 miles so I'm burning it about every 300 miles which is crazy. I'm wondering if it is worth having the test done because by how fast its burning I would think its the ring issue rather than a computer reprograming or crankcase valve issue. Need some advise if I should just pay to have the testing done since it is out of warranty or just move on from the vehicle. Anything I can check myself?

Thanks

Old 08-22-2013, 08:12 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by shonngibson1
I just purchased an 09 A4 2.0T a little under a month ago and I have had to put in 3 quarts of oil in it already. I have driven less than 1,000 miles so I'm burning it about every 300 miles which is crazy. I'm wondering if it is worth having the test done because by how fast its burning I would think its the ring issue rather than a computer reprograming or crankcase valve issue. Need some advise if I should just pay to have the testing done since it is out of warranty or just move on from the vehicle. Anything I can check myself?

Thanks
Unless it's an Audi CPO car you are about to see a large expense to have it fixed. If you are using that much oil and there are no leaks you are in for an engine rebuild. My recommendation for all looking to buy a used A4 is to make sure you get a CPO car and get rid of it before the warranty expires.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:32 PM
1st Gear

Thanks
From a lot of personal experience on this issue I don't think the dealer ever really knows what the cause of the problem is when you get the testing done. They just test to see if your car consumes more oil than usual, and we already know the answer to this is yes.

The service dept just has a list of solutions they try. If one doesnt work you bring the car back and then try the next one. Each solution probably being more expensive than the previous. In my particular case I needed new pistons, but I had to go through about 5-8 visits so they could try all the preliminary solutions first. I didn't care because I was under warranty, but if not this can probably be way pricey. They told me new pistons was $5k.

I can try and dig up my paperwork to see what they did to my car before I got the pistons replaced. They did several things that I cant remember. You can just go in and say, "hey, do all this stuff" and just skip the testing. Why test? You already know the car uses oil. And if replacing all those things doesn't work then you either sell the car or deal with it because the next step costs $5k.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:46 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info! I ended up sending the dealership I bought the vehicle at a little love letter on how unhappy I was and they ended up taking the vehicle themselves to an Audi dealership to have the problem diagnosed and fixed. (Bought vehicle at a Chevy Dealership) I'll reply with what ends up happening with my vehicle. Thanks again.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:40 PM
1st Gear

For anyone doing the consumption tests, it's important to do the second level test within 800 miles of having the first level test done.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:54 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info! I ended up sending the dealership I bought the vehicle at a little love letter on how unhappy I was and they ended up taking the vehicle themselves to an Audi dealership to have the problem diagnosed and fixed. (Bought vehicle at a Chevy Dealership) I'll reply with what ends up happening with my vehicle. Thanks again.
OK we wish you luck as I assumed you bought it from an Audi dealer. Somehow I find it difficult to believe that the Chevy dealer will pay the freight unless you have a "lemon law" or a 30-90 day return policy in your state that this falls under. There are a few used car brands that I get the dealer to do a "leak down" test prior to purchase. I have found this to be one of the better ways to detect either a problem with the rings or valves. Good luck.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:00 AM
1st Gear

Just got my car back from Audi. They had it for 10 days. After the second oil consumption test, it was determined I needed all of the pistons replaced. The engine was removed, disassembled, and reassembled. An Audi tech then drove it overnight for a 40 mile test . All faults are apparently cleared. I was still within the 50,000 mile warranty period and so this work was done at no charge. I guess I'll have to see what the oil usage is like for the next 30 days, but my new car is on order and I take delivery at the end of October.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:48 AM
1st Gear

Just a quick update on our situation-The wife's car had the pistons replaced nearly 18 months ago and the result has been unbelievable in our case-from what I've seen posted on the forum, her A4 Prestige exhibited one of the worst oil consumption issues I've seen by needing a quart (or more) every 800 miles but we do not add a quart now even in between oil changes-which sort of freaks us both out since we were so used to checking the gauge daily and I was purchasing oil by the cases on long hauls to keep us out of trouble. It is a hassle to go through all of the steps to have the engine overhauled/rebuilt but we are the original owners and Audi, as well as our dealer-MAG, has treated us very fairly during the process and that is all you can hope for as a consumer. We looked at trading and buying new but the car right now has only 55K on it and it is paid for so we decided to keep it after the rework, and we couldn't be happier about the situation-especially now that it is finally over and the oil consumption problem has been solved for us.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:15 AM
1st Gear
Default consumption oil audi a4 2012

Is anybody have the oil consumption problem on a A4 2012 ??

Old 09-30-2013, 06:48 PM
1st Gear

Viajeros10: My dealer told me the problems seemed to be contained to the '09, '10, and '11 models (mine is a 2010). Are you having issues on a 2012?

Quick Reply: What's the verdict? -Oil Consumption