Q7 Lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 04:20 AM
1st Gear
Default Q7 Lawsuit

Audi may have to change Q7 name because of Nissan's lawsuit.
Nissan said they have already established Q series for their Infiniti line-ups many years ago.
I don't know if Audi could defend Q7 name or not.....but some critics said it's not too late for Audi to change the name...

Old 11-05-2005, 04:44 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Q7 Lawsuit

I wonder if www.nissan.com had to change their domain based on the name of their family, a private business that was around when Nissan was plain old Datsun.

Old 11-06-2005, 02:34 AM
3rd Gear

I don't care what they call it just release it already please!!!

Old 11-24-2005, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

This is retarded, manufacturers don't generally sue over individual letters even though a lot of them have similar alphabet soup indexes.

How about Merc and Lexus having the S430 and the LS430, or the E300 and the ES300 (which are pairs of direct class competitors, mind you)? I don't recall anybody suing over that, not to mention the fact that Lexus unabashedly based its design on Mercs for about decade.

BTW, Infiniti needs to get Jonathan Pryce to star in its ads again, those were hilarious

Old 11-25-2005, 01:15 AM

Actually I see the reasong in nissan. If you look at it in a way, the letters are the ones that name the car. The numbers are usually just the engine size or trim level. With that LS and S, or ES and E can be considered 2 different cars. But with Audi releasing the Q7, it conflicts with Infiniti's Q series. The numbers are insignificant, its the lettering setup that names the car IMHO. If Audi adds a letter like QT or something then i don't think there'd be a problem.
My .02

Old 11-26-2005, 07:37 PM
4th Gear

I wouldn't let any manufacturer of anything lay claim to individual letters of the alphabet. There just aren't that many in the English alphabet. What happens once they are all spoken for in one way or another? I think the courts will figure out that the consumer will manage to differentiate between Audis and Infinitis, even if the companies lawyers cannot. If Audi named its SUV "Coke", then I would say that someone has a case.

Old 11-29-2005, 12:40 AM
1st Gear

Well, it looks like that both Audi and Nissan said two weeks ago that they had settled a lawsuit filed by Nissan in federal court in Detroit in March.
That's a good news for every Audi enthusiast including myself. "Q" is very important for Audi because "Q" represents "Quattro" for Audi.
They said, "Q quarrel is quelled."

Old 01-04-2006, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

All I can say is the most recent blatant theft of a name is the VW R32 taken from the much better Nissan R32 Skyline. By the way why is Audi just now introducing an SUV? Did they watch every other car maker in the world get rich for the last 10 years and think maybe they should get in on it? It seems like the worst possible time with rising gas prices and a no doubt downward trend in SUV sales to come. I guess if you can make the best one you'll always have customers.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Senior Administrator

I think Lamborghini has a gud case, if that want one, to sue EVERYOTHER maker of so-called SUV's

EL-Link-EE

for copying their WHOLE FREAKIN concept...

Old 01-20-2006, 03:18 PM
2nd Gear

where da hell did you find that dinosaur? i remember being in love with that four door truck with the bed big enough to fit a cooler full of beer, with the same rust orange paint job as the countach, and costing only a meer 125,000K merkin dollars.

Quick Reply: Q7 Lawsuit