TDI coming to US?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 11:41 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: TDI coming to US?

I guess the US is against diesel passenger cars in general due to the higher output in diesel fuel. I read in another forum once that the rising diesel consumption in Europe, (almost 50% of all vehicles in Europe are diesels), a lot more diesel fuel has to be refined in abarrel, which usually used to be 70% for gasoline, 10% per diesel fuel and rest is other oil commodities per barrel.

The new administration might change all that, especially in the alternative fuel sector, like biodiesel. Which is the reason by the way why I want a TDI. My pickup and Mototrhome already run on B100 for the last 2 years. And by the end of July I'm actually processing my
own Biodiesel

We'll see,

Thomas

Old 07-05-2008, 03:47 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: TDI coming to US?

Nobody wants to talk about the toxic waste stream created by the batteries used in hybred cars. When that little turd hits the fan hybreds won't look so green after all.
As for a turbo diesel hybred, the turbo of a diesel isn't the issue it would be for a turbo charged gasoline engine. There are already turbo diesel hybred yard switcher locomotives operating on batteries with multiple small turbo diesel engines that are started and stopped as necessary to charge the batteries. Yup, each locomotive has two or three small, low emission and fuel efficient medium speed diesels in place of the big honking V-16 typical of non-hybred designs. Each engine spins an alternator that charges a bank of batteries through a transformer rectifier. The batteries power the electric drive motors on each axle. There are bunch of these running around the ports of LA and Long Beach. As usual, the locomotive industry is way ahead of the auto industry in terms of advanced electronics ( they had full authority digital engine control linked to traction control back in the 1980's, as well as electronic diesel injection well before the auto industry thought of it ).

Old 01-24-2024, 07:07 AM
1st Gear

Audi's TDI models might not be as prevalent in the U.S. due to various factors, including market demand, emission regulations, and strategic decisions by the company. It's true, though, the TDI engines offer great mileage and performance. Perhaps Audi's future plans will bring more TDI options stateside!