Old 06-25-2006, 05:30 PM
4th Gear
Default TT vs. Z4 Coupe

Article with a few picts comparing the two new cars -

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto...wmodels/27204/

Old 06-25-2006, 07:36 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: TT vs. Z4 Coupe

Sounds like no matter how much these two companies redesign their cars, the end result of a road test is always the same. The Audi is a little more detatched, stately, and classy, with BMW being more visceral, in your face, and making the driver feel like a hero. Which car goes faster is always just where you're trying to go fast, tight and technical or sweeping and flowy.

S4/M3
S6/M5
TT/Z4

Hmm, I wonder if they do that on purpose.

Visually for me, it's nolo contendre, BMW hands down, and just wait for the M version.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:40 AM
4th Gear

I think BMW has some nice styling on the exterior, but the interior of the Audi is much better IMO. Plus, in every review the Audi is consistently quicker in both real world and track situations. I few cosmetic mods to the Audi and it looks better and is quicker than the BMW. And you have the added benefit of not having to admit to owning a BMW!

Old 06-26-2006, 01:25 AM
2nd Gear

I don't ever think that thing will look as good on the outside as the Z4, either coupe or convertible. And yes, we all know that Audi makes the best interior this side of $100k (Aston's got you beaten). I'd still go for the BMW though, even if the TT is faster, because invariably, I feel almost like a passenger in the Audis, it's not as involved a drive and when you do go fast, it's somewhat depreciated by that fact. You've got so many electronic and mechanical nannies helping you go fast, and sure while you're going fast, you're still not sure how much of it is you and how much is the car. BMWs, especially the Ms are very difficult to get to the absolute limit and keep it there. When you go fast in a BMW, you know it's your skill that let you do it.

The fact that it snows once a year and rains maybe 10 times a year in Vegas probably has a bit to do with my preference also. If I was surrounded by inclement weather all of the time, the Audi would be the Tao.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:37 AM
4th Gear

Yeah, the weather thing is a big factor for you there.

I don't know why I'm so anti-BMW. Maybe I'll get one someday and change my mind....but I doubt it.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:57 AM
2nd Gear

I used to be anti-BMW because of the people that drive them, but I have always bought cars based on their capabilities compared to other cars in it's class, and when searching for a mid-size uber sport sedan, the M5 just did it best. If that car had driven the same way with a Hyundai badge on it, or if a Nissan truck would outrun my Lightning, I would have bought them instead. If I wanted a wagon, Audi makes the only ones I would ever buy, but if I needed a performance cabriolet, I wouldn't get near the S4.

Brand names are unimportant, I look at the model itself.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:07 AM
4th Gear

Me too. I'm looking at the numbers and then the way it feels when it drives. The look is important as well. The badge it of little importance. What I have against American cars these days isn't poor acceleration, it's crap interiors.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:28 PM
2nd Gear

Well, it's good to see that you and I are the only ones who care about these cars evidently. You can just PM on-topic stuff to me from now it, save on bandwidth and what not.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:49 PM
4th Gear

Yeah, I thought people would have some opinions about this comparison. I guess I got that all wrong.

I may go test drive a BMW sometime and see how the new ones drive. I haven't been behind the wheel of a new one. A 3 series, not one of these coupes.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:33 PM
2nd Gear

I considered an E46 330ci M-Sport when I sold the M5. I'm rather ambivalent on the E90 design though, and I don't really see it translating well to a coupe platform.

2000-2003 is BMWs high point. Before that they had cars that drove very well, but looked very bland, and after that, they've gone the other way and have cars that are all looks, but drive like Benzos. There are few exceptions, E30 M3 was enough of a hoot to drive that it was ok that it looked goofy, the old M6 was fun despite looking like ***, and the new 750il is classy enough that it doesn't matter how it drives, good or bad, it's still a pimp-mobile. I'm sure if anyone else was reading this thread they'd say something about the E36 M3 and how well it handles, but I'm sorry, no amount of handling prowess can make of for that Isuzu-inspired interior.

Quick Reply: TT vs. Z4 Coupe