Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

*Help* Car Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 02:27 AM
T90
1st Gear
Default *Help* Car Won't Start

Well heres the problem, car will not turn over. The fuel pump primes properly but there is no noise from the starter or solenoid.

What happened, I started the car no problem and went to visit an out of town Audi Club Member that happened to be in town. I was having some problems with the brakes and asked if he could get in and give it a whirl to see how they feel to him. He gets in the car, tries to start it and there is this real quiet low whining noise that sounds like its coming through the speakers, but the car does not crank over, nothing happens, so we try again and again and then this noise just stops altogether.

The car made a sad journey on the back of a flat deck car hauler today and I need to try and fix this issue as soon as possible.

Car in question is a
1994 Audi 100Q CS w/2.8l

Thanks

Old 04-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Default RE: *Help* Car Won't Start

okey, there can be couple of posibilities.
fuse,
solenoid,
wires.
ignition, where you put your key.

simply, if posible, conect solenoid directly to the battery, it it activates, then its the wires, and the ignition.
if not. shorten the two conectors on the back of the solenoid. if the starter turns, the only problem is the solenoid. (simply wirh a screw driver in between)

the only way to do it is through a lift or a hole. the solenoid is all the way on the bottom. Good luck.
I put a penny thats its a solenoid.

Old 04-24-2006, 10:57 AM

is the battery fully charged? does it start if you use a booster? then if it does the battery is suspect, ill also go along with the starter solenoid theory

Old 04-25-2006, 12:53 PM
T90
1st Gear

OK well on the advise of a good friend I yanked the ignition switch to find it had the dreadful Audi crack on it, as pictured here.

So I am hoping this is the problem. Now in the meantime and while I wait for a new switch does anyone know what pins need to be jumped on the ignition switch harness in order to start the car.

Thanks

Old 04-25-2006, 01:07 PM

the famous ignition switch problem just been helping pete7 with the same thing, if you think of the switch still connected the second position turns the dash lights on "this has to be done first" then the last pin is shorted for a second with a live but to be honest I don't like doing that but if needs are more then you must but ensure the key is turned on in the barrel to ensure the ignition lock is off before driving

Old 04-29-2006, 02:18 PM
T90
1st Gear

Well I traced the problem back to the starter, I am physically incapable of removing it so I have to have a shop do the work. Switch is still good, even with the crack, however it will not be liong until it is toast so I will replace it as well.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:43 PM

yep getting to the startermotor can be a pig of a job on the v6 engine its right under the exhaust manifold so not a lot of space

Old 04-30-2006, 01:15 PM

ye it sucsk, the older I4 and I5 very much easier

Old 06-24-2006, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

Having the same problem. car won't start. When I turn the ignition I get the cranking sound, but car won't turn over. How can I test the starter. Where is it located? Under the car or inside engine compartment
Thanks

Old 06-24-2006, 09:23 PM

cabrioman, does the engine turn over?
or it makes clik sound?

Quick Reply: *Help* Car Won't Start