Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

1980's Coupe GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:48 PM
1st Gear
Default 1980's Coupe GT

So I'm looking to buy a car in about two months and I've found myself smitten by the 1980's Coupe GT. It's just so classic! But I'm scared for a couple of reasons and have questions.

It's so old so...
1. Will I be able to find parts for it?
2. What about replacement engines/transmissions?
3. Is it possible to turn it into a Quattro? I know they made quattros in Europe. (long term project)
4. What about wheel hubs to change the bolt pattern? I looked on tirerack and there are like 3 wheels that would fit.

I guess the primary concern is how likely do you think I am going to have to do a tranny/engine swap and am I going to have nothing but trouble with it. I know going with a 90 Coupe would be a lot easier, but I want to find out about the GT first. Thanks for your input.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:59 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 1980's Coupe GT

Welcome to the forums.

I also am smitten by the 80'scoupes, commonly refered to as type 85's.

Many audi nuts own these cars, and many have done some great things with the cars.

To answer your questions in order.

1. Yes, parts are easy to find. Audi made a lot of these, plus the 4 door version as well. It's very common to see parts cars for sale, or owners parting them out as well.
All maintnenance parts are still available through any auto parts store, or even Audi specialty places such as Blau parts, or Shokan.
2. Replacement engines/transmissions are again, very plentiful, and usually quite cheap.
Shokan, force 5 auto, and others carry a wide selection of these parts used, plus others.
Other popular options are to swap in a turbocharged engine from a 5000 turbo.
3. Yes, it's possible, but it involves either a ton of time, a ton of fabrication, or just a ton of money.. It's been done before, nothing's impossible.
Your best bet long term is to eventually step up to a ur Quattro They are aldready AWD, and turbocharged, but share the same type 85 chassis.
4. with the hub swap, I'm not sure. Possible from a 5000, or from an ur Quattro as well.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:10 PM
1st Gear

Yes, I too am a BIG fan of the early '80s Audi Coupes.

As Sepp said, parts, new or used, are not really a problem.

No, in my opinion, turning one into a Quattro is not a worthwhile project. A ur Quattro (ask Sepp to see pics of his!) would be something to shoot for.

The Coupes are SUPER fun cars. I spent a LONNNNNNG time finding the right one. They are around. Find one and take the plunge!

-teach

Old 02-08-2008, 02:23 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the input guys. I'm about 75% sure I'm going to get one of these now. I had been lusting for years after a 97-2001 Impreza (and even saw a really nice one today in the parking lot, JDM STi) but now.. I dunno. I just want one of these. I tend to buck trend so maybe that's why, but I just love how that car looks. Probably because I've seen a lot of those Group B S1 videos. Either way, thanks for your input. Nothing better than advice from those who own one.

So I guess once I get my internship it's off to Denver Colorado! I've been scouring Craigs list for the type 85's and I've found about 7 of them. Three are in Denver, and the other four are in Ohio. What gives? I don't know, but they're both pretty far from MN, so no matter where I get mine it's a drive. :edit: Just checked again and most of them are no longer listed.

So just to clarify, you can indeed get new parts from dealers, I don't need to go looking for dead cars to maul for parts? I don't have room in the garage to work on it and I certainly don't want to leave a useless car in the yard.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:30 AM
1st Gear

Normal wear items: brakes, exhaust, gaskets, tune-up parts, filters, fuel & water pumps, etc. can all be obtained from aftermarket sources. I use Autohausaz a lot because their prices, shipping, and service are excellent, but there are many other vendors. Other items do often have to be sourced from either the dealer (if still available new) or used sources. Fourcefiveauto is a good source for used parts, Shokan always has everything (but is pricey), and there are others. http://www.car-part.com/ is a GREAT place to find your part without having to physically visit salvage yards. If you are not up to the maintenance (which is often half the fun!), any local VW or import shop should be able to handle it without trouble.

Here's Joe's ur Quattro: 10 valve 5 cyl., turbo, all-wheel drive. He has done LOTS of work on it over the years:

Here's my '82 Coupe (not known as a Coupe GT until '84): front wheel drive 10 valve 5 cyl.:

Old 02-09-2008, 12:34 AM
1st Gear

Man, that car looks great Teach, especially with those uber rare Ronals.

That's original paint, right?
That is a true time machine.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:14 AM
1st Gear

Mmm. Those are both indeed quite nice looking cars, but I gotta say I like the flared fenders and bumpers more on the quattro. Can I nab some of those and put them on a GT? or would a later model type 85 already have those?

Old 02-09-2008, 10:21 AM
1st Gear

Yes, its' pretty unreal. A time machine indeed. I'm almost embarrassed about how LITTLE I have had to do to this car. I did some mechanicals and had a good trim shop fix a worn spot on the seat. That material is definitely NOT easy to find, if available at all. I pulled out the bottom cushion of the back seat and had him used the fabric from the lowest panel (that no one ever sees). He replaced that section with a solid brown that matches the interior very well, and used the plaid tweed from that section to replace the outer-lower bolster on the driver's seat that had some wear. The cushion itself is as firm as can be, and the seat is now like new.

Oh, and yeah...I added the Ronals. I may also install the rear under-bumper valance from an '84 4000 quattro to complement the front spoiler/air dam.

Contrast this one with some cars that I have owned, on which at one time or another I had to replace EVERYTHING, sometimes TWICE!

Old 02-11-2008, 03:46 PM
1st Gear

Man those Coupe's are nice. Thanks for posting those teach. I saw a Coupe GTon the way into work the other day. It was a bit beat up, but seeing those older Audi's is so rare I always get excited when I spot one.

Sepp...Do youhave any pics of your Ur-Qyou can post?

I love all Audi's but I have a special place in my heart for anything pre '96 for some reason. Anything pre '90 is rare to find on the road out here I've found... andI'm insunny California where the weather tends to be good to your car!

Old 02-11-2008, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Belgarion

Mmm. Those are both indeed quite nice looking cars, but I gotta say I like the flared fenders and bumpers more on the quattro. Can I nab some of those and put them on a GT? or would a later model type 85 already have those?
The fenders, bumpers, and the bumper surroundsare exclusive to the ur Quattro, but many people have installed them onto the CGT's. But the rear fenders need to be either welded on, or glassed on, as it's part of the unibody.
The fenders, either front, or rear won't fit with anything else but the surrounds from the ur Quattro
A few companies offer fiberglass replacements for all of these parts, but they're not cheap.

The front is a direct bolt on as the the ur Quattro (red) and the coupe (in Gobi). and the later Coupe GT, are all of the type 85 chassis.

Quick Reply: 1980's Coupe GT