91 Audi 100 - New battery & Alternator won't hold charge - AudiForums.com

Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

Old 01-09-2008, 09:06 PM

Default 91 Audi 100 - New battery & Alternator won't hold charge

I looked this problem up, and from a geocities FAQ page here they said:

Quote:
The thick wire going from the alternator to the battery is spliced in the passenger's footwell. This splice sometimes will loose conductivity and cause no charging to the battery/dead battery symptoms. Measure the voltage at the battery and at the positive post in the engine compartment. These should differ by no more than 0.1V. Larger voltage difference points toward faulty splice.
Can someone provide pictures or a wiring diagram of the positive post in the engine bay? Also, where can I get a new wire (I would imagine an Audi dealer would be a lot more expensive than an Audi parts supplier online)

Thanks

Jake

Old 01-10-2008, 01:01 PM
1st Gear

Default RE: 91 Audi 100 - New battery & Alternator won't hold charge

Did it come with the owner's manual? If it does, look in the section about jump starting the car. Since the battery is underneath the rear seat there is a positive post in the engine compartment (I believe on the passenger side in the area closest to the windshield). The manual shows this in the how to jump start section. If you can't find it and no one else is able to post a picture I might be able to take a picture and upload this weekend.