Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

anyone heard of this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:00 PM
1st Gear
Default anyone heard of this problem?

I have a 94 Audi CS 100 Quattro Wagon that won't start but cranks. When it does act up for a mechanic they say I'm not getting spark, but then it will start up and runs fine.
Here's the anyone heard of this, The transmission lever will not lock in park. When I put it in park with my foot on the brake I can feel it lock in park, but as soon as I turn the car off I can pull the lever out of park into all the gears. I noticed this about the same time I was having the no start issue. I've took the console apart and played around with the component that has a shaft that moves in every time you turn the ignition and sometimes I can get the car to start and it will start fine for the day and as I drive around running errands. Usually the next day I go out to the car and cranks, but won't start. The fuel pump and filter have been replace, a new starter and some vacuum hoses replaced. The last mechanic thought it was the ignition module when it wouldn't start, but he unplugged it and plugged it back in and it started and wouldn't not start for him again. I tried it when I got it home and it wouldn't start, but nothing.
Everyone I've talked to says that the transmission problem and the start proble are two different issues. Why will the lever not lock and stay locked when I trun the car off? I know this is long but no one can figure this one out.
Help

Old 07-14-2012, 03:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Vacuum issue

I a similiar issue with a 1990 90 CS, 5cylender 10v, Auto. I had tried to clean up the engine and unknowingly cracked the black boot between the intake and the throttle body. This needed to be replaced. Once that was replaced it started just fine. It was a vacuum issue. So, I would double check your vacuum lines and look for cracks in that black intake boot. Unless you have the V6, in which case, check the lines again. When you try to start the car, listen for any kind of hissing or sucking sound coming from a possible leak in the engine compartment. This might help locate the leak. As far as your Tranny, sorry, not sure whats going on there. Hope this helps.