Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

brought my CQ home.. but..

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 01:26 PM
1st Gear
Default brought my CQ home.. but..

Last time I posted my coupe was stranded in a parking lot. I charged up the battery at home, put it in the car, then it just fired up just fine. But, after a day or so, my wife tried to drive it again, and after parking... it had a REALLY hard time starting. After she brought it home, I checked out what the volts said on the gauge... under the 12 mark. So.. I either have a bad battery, bad alternator, or some kind of power draw. Anyone else have this problem? Its scary bec when my coupe is low on power, the engine likes to cut out on me when I am going on/off the autobahn with my foot on the clutch pedal.. its kind of scary. Once i let off the clutch (happens also when car is in neutral) the engine comes back to life. This only happens when the battery is low.

Any ideas? I was thinking of getting a new battery for it, but if you guys know of anything else to check pls let me know. I have to get her inspected on base here soon to get my reg. for the year. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-13-2008, 04:08 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: brought my CQ home.. but..

It sounds most likely that its a problem with your charging system. Either the altenator or something between the altenator and the battery.

First thing I would do is pull the altenator and have it tested or take the car to a mechanic who can inspect the entire charging system for you. It sounds like your overseas, but here in the U.S. you can usually take an altenator to an auto parts store like Auto Zone and they can test it for you.

I've also heard of the electric cable between the battery in the rear seat and the battery post in the engine compartment going bad, and to check that you should check the volts at the battery and the post and see if there is a drop in voltage at the battery post in the engine compartment (with a fully charged battery of course).

I hope that helps a little.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

yeah i am overseas in germany. I may just take it to audi and see what they say. I am about ready to sell it, I just need it to be safe and pass the base inspection so i can get the new reg for the car. Thanks for the info. I am going to try and run some tests myself before I bring her in to the dealer.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:50 AM
1st Gear

Well, turns out, I had a bad battery.. nothing more. I had the old battery on a charger for 2 days, and put it in my car. Then I turned the key, but didn't start the engine, and watched the volt meter gauge.. it was slowly dropping every second. So, got a new battery, and no probs with starting