Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

fuel pump relay fuse

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 02:12 PM
1st Gear
Default fuel pump relay fuse

Hey guys.. I noticed my fuel pump relay for my 89 CQ has a place for a fuse in it.. prob is.. i dunno what fuse is supposed to be in there.. or if there is supposed to be a fuse or not. When I got the car I had to redo all the fuses since a lot were in the wrong place. The relay is in the number 10 position under the hood, with a 215 on the top of it.. can anyone let me know what kind of fuse is supposed to be in it? I don't want anything bad to happen

Old 05-25-2006, 02:00 PM
jmm
Default RE: fuel pump relay fuse

Yes its a place for a fuse

It is used when you want to set your idle speed. You put 7,5A fuse and ECU is in default mode

Old 05-25-2006, 04:32 PM
1st Gear

REALLY!! THAT COULD HELP ME OUT A LOT! I have been having idle trouble a lot.. thanks for the help!!!!!!!

Old 05-30-2006, 01:30 PM
jmm

If u have idle problem, check and clean flowmeter

Old 05-30-2006, 01:33 PM
1st Gear

Yep I did that.. cleaned all the hoses, new air filter, everything.. just once in awhile the idle will rev up all by itself (like I am stepping on the gas but I am not). I put a new rubber o ring around the idle adj. screw too.. the only thing i can think of is that i have some kind of vac leak somewhere..i think it is the big rubber hose from the throttle body to the air mass meter.. but i have not been able to locate one at a junk yard yet.. too expensive to buy from audi. I will have to keep looking i guess

Old 05-31-2006, 08:32 AM
jmm

ORIGINAL: viper771

just once in awhile the idle will rev up all by itself (like I am stepping on the gas but I am not).

I've got exactly the same symptoms And i know what is wrong

The problem is in throttle potentiometer, you should check its linearity. New one costs over 100Euro at Audi. But first disconnect it and check how engine works, if idle won't rev up, then you will have to replace it

Throttle potentiometer is loacated below throttle, white plug is connected to it

Old 05-31-2006, 08:44 AM
1st Gear

100 euro Last time I went to audi for new abs sensors, they had to call bosch to have them MAKE some for me bec "my car was too old"..

Ok I will check that out. Never thought of that... is the throttle potentiometer the same as the "idle switch"? I will have to look. I do have something below the throttle body with a green wire.. thought maybe thats what i need to check out. I know that it connects to another wire.. and some of the outer casings on those wires got a bit melted.. Maybe this will help me out.. lets hope this works..

by the way, is that your coupe??? LOOKS NICE!!! Mine looks kinda beat up (a lot of other army ppl owned it before me here in germany).. my hood is different.. and grill is different (hood and grill one piece). Do you have any picts of engine compartment..??

Old 05-31-2006, 06:29 PM
jmm

ABS sensors I know that, luckily they are the same as in normal 80 B3, and i ve found them on junky yard

The thing with green wire, which is located below throttle body is idle switch, and below it u will find throttle potentiometer

Yeap thats my CQ20V A lot of work to do, but its worth it
Here is a pic of my engine:
Click
Pic of my colleauge CQ20V engine compartment
Click
And here u will find more pics of my car:
Click

If U wish I can make bigger photo of some part of engine compartment

BTW If u have other hood, someone must reaplace it from B4, because 7A engine was only in b3

Old 05-31-2006, 07:09 PM
1st Gear

Hey WOW nice picts thanks!! I did find that white plug you mentioned.. i NEVER noticed that before. I unplugged it.. and the engine ran the same.. normal.. so i guess that means it needs replaced??

So what was a b4 hood on?? I have only seen very very few of the audi coupes with them. Yeah I have the 7A engine.... i have a 89 audi coupe.. it has a glass sunroof.. most of the ones i have seen had a metal roof.. i know in the states, they had the glass roofs in the 1991 model.. I dont know much about the german ones since they made them from 89 to 94? i think.

What car would have a b4 hood? Audi coupe but with different engine setup?? I have seen some with a different muffler than mine.. and it was a 2.0L.

The engine pict from the red car has a different setup.. i didn't see the ISV valve next to the air filter box.. just where it would be. Your car engine looks just like mine, excpet my mineral oil cap is blue hehe.. cool picts thanks for those!!! ABS sensors are expensive I had to get a seal replaced on the tranny.. i think the other side is leaking now

Old 06-01-2006, 09:24 AM
jmm

If engine runs the same, and idle still revs up, so its not the reason Have u checked temeprature sensor, wich is located in cylinder head?
Any fault codes?

Audi Coupe B3 was produced from 1988 to 1991, and it had hood like mine It had 1.8 (112HP), 2.0 (113HP), 2.0 20V (160HP), 2.2 (136HP), 2.3 (136HP), 2.3 20V (167/170HP) engines
Picts
From 1991 to 1995 was Audi Coupe B4 produced, and it had hood like in your car. It had 2.0 (115HP), 2.0 16V (140HP), 2.3 (133HP), 2.6 V6 (150HP), 2.8 (174HP), 2.2T 20V (220/230HP) engines. It also had other steereing wheel and passanger side airbag as option.
Picts

I think that someone "upgraded" your car and put the front from newer model

Glass sun roof is really rare thing in euro versions, it was very expensive option, this red car also had glass sun roof, and electric rear windows[:-]
The red Audi is 1991 and they had little different setup ISV is in the rubber which connects throttle body with Potentiometer

Quick Reply: fuel pump relay fuse