Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

Interesting tranny swap 82 5000 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 03:16 AM
Default Interesting tranny swap 82 5000 turbo

So, I've recently purchased an 82 5000 turbo with the 087 automatic. Shortly after purchasing, the tranny began to slip and behave badly with the end result being no drive in any gear. I took the pan off and found copious amounts of clutch material and decided it's time for a rebuild. I got the sucker out, which nearly killed me and noticed the transmission section has the same case as the spare vw van automatic i have over in the corner. I separated the unit, and attempted to slide the bus tranny onto the audi final drive, but the shaft is larger on the audi final drive than on the bus. I did some reading in the service manual, and decided to just try changing the reverse planetary ring gear. I did so, and this allowed the transmission to bolt to the final drive no problem. The pump shaft also appears to protrude the same distance with both units. I'm off to the dealer tomorrow to get some new gaskets and seals, and with some luck this will work. I know the audi turbo tranny is more beefy, and the valve bodies are different, but i really dont plan on abusing the car... and this is a very cheap fix, as i'm only out the cost of the new seals and gaskets... and of course the wrestling and cursing of doing the work. Anybody ever swapped trannies like this, or know of an absolute flaw in my scheme before i get it all the way in the car before i figure out it wont work?!?! Cheers from new orleans!