Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

More 1988 Audi 90 Quattro...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 07:53 AM
1st Gear
Default More 1988 Audi 90 Quattro...

Yay I'm back, and with more problems that Im asking for help with.... The 1988 Audi 90 Quattro is probably one of the greatest cars I have owned since getting my license at age of 16, now that im 19,I love it so much that I don't have the guts to part with it... (first car was a POS Honda CRX....) Anyway back to my topic at hand here. I have eliminated a couple of simple probs, Like the CIS system running the car too rich, I was a numb nuts and played with it, But low and behold the people at Jimmys Audi and Porche Auto fixed it to tippety top shape.. Too bad I didnt have em look at more detail of the problems that were before they got worse. The problems are The car Idles, but it idles really roughly, I suspect the injectors of some foul play into this particular problem, so I'm setting out to fix them, with the help of you guys of course . Also about the CIS-E system, The rubber boot keeps rotting out,Ive gone through two used ones, and this is the third,Brand new this time that has cracked, causing a massive air leak, (the car still idled rough before cracking again.. anyway)any reason behind this problem?Another problem that I hear is common, the Comfort Control fan being able to only run at High, In the summer I dont mind popping the sunroof open and having the windows down while I cruise, but in the winter, its like an Oven at times, or cold as crap because we have to keep turning the thing off after cooking... Any Solution to this? I looked at the fuses and nothing comes to mind.. And last but not least, the License plate, Dash lights, and jockey box fuse keeps burning out when I have the Headlights on and open the trunk, I figured that the trunk with headlights on was the culprit after testing many different possibilities, It seems to never happen when I have the headlights off before I open the trunk. Any solution to this aswell?

Some resolutions that I have tried to fix the idling problem are:
All 5 New Bosch Sparkplugs
New Bosch Spark Wires
New/Refurbished ICS (Idle Control System thingy, Has two rubber hoses and whatnot)
New Coil pack.

Thanks
-Preston

Old 02-19-2007, 06:07 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: More 1988 Audi 90 Quattro...

1st thing to look for is always vacum leaks ... yes leaky injector could be the problem ... let the car run for about 20 mins then turn off after about 20 more mins take out a spark plug and look inside the cylinder for puddles of fuel

fan - https://www.audiforums.com/m_448755/tm.htm

lights - they are deffinetly shorting out somewhere ... are you or have you had any higher than maufacturer recomended wattage bulbs in the headlights

Old 02-20-2007, 12:15 AM
1st Gear

Well The fan problem you redirected me to doesnt seem to match my problem, thanks for trying though. The fan problem I'm talking about is the Comfort Control, like when you turn it to I/II/III speeds, only the III speed workes. My radiator fan runs just fine. Although there is the problem of actually being able to see the temprature.... The needle never rises or anything :P

The Lights, I have never used anything but Manufacturer Recomended wattage bulbs.

peace

Old 02-20-2007, 03:19 AM
2nd Gear

the pic that avant posted in the oather thread is actualy the speed control relay for the climate control ... read carefully

about the bulbs thats good because higher wattage bulbs fry the wires and than you can have all kind of probs ...

Old 02-20-2007, 04:06 PM
1st Gear

Dang Im stupid for skimming it, Im sorry inexile, you were right, and THANKS, the problem was fixed. Now I wont cook.

The trunk problem is being fixed as we speak, I decided that Im not going to rip the car apart again. (It was hard to put the friggin amp in!)

About the rubber intake boot, any solution to this not getting holes anymore? Ive bought a fourth and I gotta say, $$$ Expensive stuff. If it rips again, I dont know what I'm going to do. I was thinking of getting the 034 EFI system, But I have no clue on how to install such a thing.. Or how to program it for that matter.

Again, thanks.

peace