Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

Power Steering Problem NEED HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 01:48 AM
Default Power Steering Problem NEED HELP!!

Hi All! Here is my problem
I bought 1996 Audi 2.8L Cabriolet last week with 91k Miles and it was pretty good for 11 yr old car. This morning when I drove to work and I noticed that terrible squeaking noise was coming everytime I turned the steering wheel. I stopped to see what was going on and when I opened the hood I saw PS fluid spilled all over and it was oozing out of the reservoir cap. When I opened the reservoir, I saw lot of foam and it seems that PS pump was backing the fluid up into the reservoir. I made one terrible mistake and it was that I topped it off with Prestone PS fluid. After reading the forum I came to know that Audi's require special Pentosin mineral oil. Anyway when I reached the mechanic's place the level in the reservoir was again below the low mark and it spilled again. It seems my PS pump is not working and it is backing into the reservoir. I took the engine cover out and it seems that the pump can be replaced with not much difficulty. Can anyone guide me how to replace the pump and should I replace the pump first and then flush the fluid by disconnecting two finger sized hoses at the bottom of the reservoir and filling and draining at the same time till all the fluid is flushed. Are there any other seals I have to replace?
What should I order besides the PS pump?
Does anyone have DIY for PS pump, pics and step by step directions would be helpful?
Any other tips?

All the inputs will be highly appreciated.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:44 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Power Steering Problem NEED HELP!!

Try cleaningit out before you start buying parts. My thoughts are that the pump cavitated from foaming and is still OK. If it seized, stop reading this.You will have to open the system up at some point. I'd choose the high pressure line on the pump. That's the one on the back of the pump with the bolt going through it. There are two aluminum washers on each side of the fitting. Personally, I would not cutor open the lines at the bottom of the reservoir. It would be easier and quicker, but that's up to you. They are clamped, and if you can't get those clamped back tight you will have aleak. Remove the ignition coils to get at the bolt.Remove the reservoir cap. Using a compressor set to a very low pressure and ablowing attachment, blow air through the high pressure hole on the pump where you just removed the high press hose. You may have to figure out a way to seal it up a bit - use tape. That should force the fluid back into the reservoir. Use a turkey baster to suck out the fluid in the reservoir.There is a lot of fluid in this system. Now figure out a way to pressurize the high press hose and force the fluid back through the rack and into the reservoir. Suck the fluid out. You will be amazed at how filthy this fluid is. Make sure you get thescreen filter out of the reservoir so you can get out all the crudat the bottom. When you think the system is finally purged, reassemble. Technically, those washershave to be replaced. They are cheap at Audi. Torque the bolt to 30 ft-lbs. Fill with new fluid,start car and idle, wheels straight ahead,watching the reservoir. It will self purge. Refill as necessary.If this doesn't work you are out$25-$35 for fluid.Throw out the turkey baster so you wife doesn't know you ruined it.