Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

Quattro Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 12:38 AM
1st Gear
Default Quattro Help!

Ok, I am having an issue with my Quattro. When I first purchased my 1988 90 Quattro, the previous owner had disconnected the push button to activate the 4 wheel Drive. After reconnecting, and pressing the button, the light that is to represent the rear diff, lights up and the ABS OFF light comes on in the gauge cluster. Now, so far so good. But I can't keep it on for longer than 2nd gear. Sometimes it drops out while I shift to 2nd. sometimes when shifting to 3rd. Not sure why. Now, My reverse on the tranny is Right and Down. As most german cars are Left and Up for Reverse, I am wondering if the Tranny was replaced with a non OEM Tranny and this is causing my 4wd issue? Please help, anything helps.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:42 PM
1st Gear

As I remember the car is always in 4WD, the push button is used to lock the rear diff, which unlocks automatically when going over 20 MPH. With the diff locked it very hard to make turns, and its only purpose is to get the car going if stuck on slippery surface.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:47 AM
1st Gear
Default Thanks

Thanks, kind of embarrased! lol First quattro.