Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

00 Audi 1.8t intermittent coil problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:53 PM
1st Gear
Default 00 Audi 1.8t intermittent coil problems

Problem:
So I'm thinking I'm having a problem with my coils since they are known to be problematic. Car misfires when hot sometimes, not always. And other times it doesn't misfire at all, not under load, hot, or cold. From what I've read about these coils on the forums here, the misfires usually happen when under load or cold..correct? Sometimes there is only 1 misfire and sometimes there are two. I don't know what cyls.

Car:
The car is a Toyota with an Autonic SM4 ecu controlling the 1.8t Audi coils that I have on it. When I plug my laptop into the cars ecu I don't see any stored errors relating to the misfire, possibly because it isn't happening often enough to log it as an error.

Getting new coils:
I love how hot these coils are, even though they are known to burn through plugs pretty fast, so I would prefer to keep running 1.8t coils. Is there are certain year that the coils are more reliable? I was told that the 99/00 audi 1.8t coils were the most reliable of the years, but this was by a guy locally that might not have known what he was talking about. Is there an aftermarket brand of these coils that is better than stock? When I was researching it I found some guys online saying that the stock coils are better than the aftermarket ones for these cars. Opinions?