Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

2020 A4 Avant - fuel in, but not showing on the gauge?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 11:55 AM
1st Gear
Default 2020 A4 Avant - fuel in, but not showing on the gauge?!

Hi folks,

So today after diving into a petrol station and putting £20’s worth of Sainsbury’s finest into it, I got back in the car and after starting up, noticed that the fuel gauge was still in the red and hadn’t increased the ‘miles remaining’ range either...

I assumed that it would just take a short distance to kick in and realise that it had plenty, however after another 10 or so miles, still no different. So I then considered that a) the fuel pump was actually dispensing despite it happily taking my money or b) the fuel level sensor was knackered (....a bit worrying since the car only has 3000 miles on it so far?!)

So I bit the bullit, pulled into the next station I found and added ‘another’ £10 worth....however this time when I started it back up, the fuel gauge went well over the 3/4s and I’ve now got tons of fuel! (Well, £30s worth anyway!?!)

Has anyone else experienced this?? Does it mean the fuel level sensor is likely goosed already??

Worth mentioning when I take it back in for a safety recall tomorrow??

Cheers for any help.

Old 11-05-2022, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mark3209
Hi folks,

So today after diving into a petrol station and putting £20’s worth of Sainsbury’s finest into it, I got back in the car and after starting up, noticed that the fuel gauge was still in the red and hadn’t increased the ‘miles remaining’ range either...

I assumed that it would just take a short distance to kick in and realise that it had plenty, however after another 10 or so miles, still no different. So I then considered that a) the fuel pump was actually dispensing despite it happily taking my money or b) the fuel level sensor was knackered (....a bit worrying since the car only has 3000 miles on it so far?!)

So I bit the bullit, pulled into the next station I found and added ‘another’ £10 worth....however this time when I started it back up, the fuel gauge went well over the 3/4s and I’ve now got tons of fuel! (Well, £30s worth anyway!?!)

Has anyone else experienced this?? Does it mean the fuel level sensor is likely goosed already??

Worth mentioning when I take it back in for a safety recall tomorrow??

Cheers for any help.
Hi! We've just had the same thing with our A4 advant, did you managed to get the issues fixed or experience the issue again?

Regards
Ollie