Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

A4 B5 troubleshooting ABS problem - ABS module

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 01:14 PM
2nd Gear
Default A4 B5 troubleshooting ABS problem - ABS module

ABS light is on, brake light on/blinking.
Some on the forum point towards the ABS module.
VAGcom shows error: cannot connect to ABS module.

A while ago, I bought this unit (thinking it IS the ABS module that sometimes/often is going on the fritz).

Is that the "ABS Module" in question?
Where is it located if I want to swap it out?

If not, what do I need to look for to get the right one?

Old 04-07-2010, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

I had the same problem on my S4 B5. I checked all the fuses and it turned out I had blown two of them. You may want to check ur fuse box. Cleared up my problems.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:58 AM
Site Moderator

If VAG cannot connect to the ABS module it is very likely that the module is toast. I had to replace mine last year.

If you have back out to get a picture of the full item I can tell if its the ABS module.

The module is located on the drivers side of the engine bay, looks just like a black box the size of a rubiks cube.

Last edited by brrman; 04-08-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:55 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by brrman
If VAG cannot connect to the ABS module it is very likely that the module is toast. I had to replace mine last year.

If you have back out to get a picture of the full item I can tell if its the ABS module.

The module is located on the drivers side of the engine bay, looks just like a black box the size of a rubiks cube.
The one I have and show is NOT the one in the engine bay, mounted on the ABS pumps

http://www.partsgeek.com/assets/rep/...35-1066000.jpg

Rather, It looks just like the ECU (size and aluminum (non sealed) housing).

My local Audi parts person told me that the module I have is NOT for my model, but there are cars that have this ABS module, and they are located under the rear seat, driver side.

I need to start looking for the 'other' (the one you describe and is shown in the link) ABS module.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:58 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by vtraudt
The one I have and show is NOT the one in the engine bay, mounted on the ABS pumps

http://www.partsgeek.com/assets/rep/...35-1066000.jpg

Rather, It looks just like the ECU (size and aluminum (non sealed) housing).

My local Audi parts person told me that the module I have is NOT for my model, but there are cars that have this ABS module, and they are located under the rear seat, driver side.

I need to start looking for the 'other' (the one you describe and is shown in the link) ABS module.
Here is the one I have. Note in the description it says:

ABS control module # 4D0.907.379G

1996-mid 1998 (>>8D-W-006000) A4 fwd
1996-mid 1998 (>>4A-W-005000) A6 fwd

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150417368843

Old 04-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Site Moderator

The ABS module that usually requires replacement is the one in the engine bay:

You replace the piece on the right (or have it rebuilt at ModuleMaster.com)

Last edited by brrman; 04-08-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:38 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by brrman
Can the module be easily removed to check the numbers/letters to ensure I get the right one?
Without having to remove the pump?
Or at least be able to get the needed numbers (just off the module, or also from the pump unit?)?

Old 04-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Site Moderator

Yep - Just like in the second pic I posted, the main electronics box can be separated from the pump while the pump remains on the car. Not a big deal. Just try not to touch any of the modulator pins or get them dirty while the box is removed. The part # does make a difference so make sure you get the right one. You should not need the pump unit, its the electronics module that goes bad (to be specific, it is the micro sized wires inside that break over time - think size of a human hair)

However, I thought the part# was etched into the metal on the top of the module, so you should not have to remove it to get the part#,

You can see the replacement part here under the /Module section
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...T/Braking/ABS/

Last edited by brrman; 04-09-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Angry Abs module

okie. i just got my ABS module repaired. so i put it back in and all the lights were off. like its suppose to be. i drive down the road and press on my brakes and the brakes started pulsing. like the abs is working. well after it did that . then the abs light came back on. but now when i start the car the abs light is on and then after i drive it for about 3 min then the brake light starts to blink. any idea ? well i ordered a vag-com to get some codes to know whats going on. The people who rebuilt my abs is sending me another module to see if my old one was defective. but in the mean time i would like to know if this has happened to anyone. this suckksss.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:48 PM
SoCal Crew Member

damn... that sucks... in my a4 i have the same issue... abs light is on and light is flashing... pain in the a$$... i put some electrical tape over the instument cluster right at the blinking light so i don't have to look at it..LOL

one day i'll fix it =)

Quick Reply: A4 B5 troubleshooting ABS problem - ABS module