Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

cranks but no start. HELP! 98 a4 quattro

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:48 AM
1st Gear
Default cranks but no start. HELP! 98 a4 quattro

ok i bought this car not running. it has 2 issues that i know about

its a 1998 audi a4 quattro 2.8 6cyl

#1......i put a new battery in it, new fuel pump relay, new fuel pump, still wont run the fuel pump tho. also when i got it it had no gas cap on it so i put a new one on also.
i tested the circuit from the relay and there is some power, idk how much it needs to run the pump but it had around 3 volts i think. i checked the circuit to the pump from under the top plate on the gas tank, and it was good. idk however if that top plate plug may be bad or the car is just not getting enough voltage to the pump?

#2 ....... i just checked real quick and the car didnt have spark. i only checked the one plug in the middle on the righthand side of the car. (left hand if you are looking at the motor)
just got off the phone with the dealer, he said maybe crank sensor or computer for the car

#3 ............ it wont start, i know its because of those 2 things but just figured id mention it
oh also radio doesnt turn on at all and i think someone took out the cd changer. could that be why the radio doesnt work?

thanks for your help in advance

Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Tech Certified

Is there communication with ecm?

Are there any fault codes stored?

Old 02-29-2012, 07:40 AM
1st Gear

i didnt have any of the codes checked or anything like that. i was goin to take it to a dealer but over the phone they really didnt seem like they knew what was goin on and they charge 100 an hour and have very expensive parts

is there a code reader i can buy or any place that people know of that have these code readers.

the only thing the dealer thought it would be was a crank sensor or a pcm, but again idk if he was really knew what was goin on

also does anyone know the correct way to check ground fault on the fuel pump all the plugs are good, the pump is new and relay is new and im pretty sure its gettin power, i read how to check ground faults but the explanation they gave i didnt fully understand....... today im goin to look for the ground that is supposibly on the left rear pillar or trunklid

Old 02-29-2012, 08:25 AM
Tech Certified

You could probably bring it down to a autozone , they scan for free. just don't let them sell there Chinese junk to you.
A vag Com set up is best for it bi directional function to help diagnose.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

well i found that just about every spark plug wire, where it goes into the coil is broke. that would explain the no spark. i hope. but i cant figure out this fuel problem for the life of me. im guessing its the ground thats bad

do you think i can saddle back another ground wire to the brown ground wire right outta the plug and just ground it to the trunk somewhere?

Old 03-01-2012, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

I have the same issue. my fuel pump wont turn on. Took it out and wired it up and it turned on. where in the world do i go from here?

Old 03-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by jmcoy77
I have the same issue. my fuel pump wont turn on. Took it out and wired it up and it turned on. where in the world do i go from here?
You guys are going to need to find out if there is power going to the fuel pump. Pick up an inexpensive volt meter , check for voltage at the other wire.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:40 AM
1st Gear

yeah i have a volt meter and my pump is gettin power. i cant figure out if its grounding out though. im goin to take my car to murrys auto electric on monday. my guess is a bad ground for the pump.

you could splice in a new ground to that brown ground wire but idk how safe that is for the rest of the cars electronics.

i have the wiring diagrams and that really to me is the only thing it can be. but ill let you guys kow what the shop says

Old 03-02-2012, 09:52 AM
1st Gear

I have no clue which wires are what. can tell me which ones to check or send me that diagram please?

Old 03-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Tech Certified

The ground wire should be brown. The other wire i am not sure , do not have access to wiring diagrams at the moment. If there is 2 wires then the other will be power. If there are 4 wires , then the wire that has the same size of the brown wire (larger size goes to the fuel pump , smaller wires go to the fuel sender) will be the power.
If you have a tool like a power probe or another way to connect power & ground to the fuel pump it would be ok as long as you have the wires disconnected. You do not want to back feed power back to the car.

To give you an example. earlier this winter during our only snow storm i had to find out why our 93 Audi would not run. Found out the fuel pump was not working. Hooked up a seperate power & ground to the fuel pump & it would not work. So i said ok the pump is bad. Next i reversed the polarity to the fuel pump(hooked ground on the power side of the pump & power on the ground side) & what do you know the pump started working in reverse.
Reconnected connector & car started. There was a piece of crud preventing the pump from running in the normal direction but when it went to spin the other way it spit it out & the car is still running.

Quick Reply: cranks but no start. HELP! 98 a4 quattro