Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

ecu for 98 1.8

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 04:33 AM
Default ecu for 98 1.8

I recently got 98 1.8 quattro and i was looking for things i could do to increase hp. First, how do you find out what your ECU# is and are chip upgrades really that effective(ive heard like 40-50 hp)? Also, if i decide to get one, is there anything i should have done before i get it to make it work better. Like a tune up or anything. Finally, how hard are they to install? could i do it myself? thanks

Old 02-14-2006, 01:34 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: ecu for 98 1.8

at first i thought it was very easy but it was not ,when u put the chip in u have to change the injectors mass air flow sensor intercooler to make up for all that modification.u are going to spend a few bucks to get it right and thats what u need,newspeed has a chip that u could put in and u proably gain 30hp dont just jump and do it research it first i learn the hard way.

Old 02-14-2006, 02:22 AM

im finding that they dont even make ecu upgrade for my car. i dont know what the deal is with the but im gonna look into it for sure. thanks for responding.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:26 PM
1st Gear

YES THEY DO MAKE A CHIP FOR THAT CAR BECAUSE I HAVE THE SAME EXACT CAR LIKE U,THIS COMANY CALLED APR DOES.THEIR WEB SITE IS WWW.GOAPR.COM OR ANOTHER ONE CALLED WWW.TAP1.COM .GO AND CHECK THEM OUT DOOD HAVE FAITH PEACE.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:05 AM
1st Gear

i got the same question to.. how hard is it to replace this chip.. isnt it just plug and play?

Old 03-14-2006, 04:51 PM
1st Gear

U WOULD HAVE 2 DO A LITTLE BIT OF MODIFICATION,ITS NOT AASY TASK.U WOULD HAVE 2 CHANGE THE INJECTORS 2

Old 03-26-2006, 01:42 AM

It's not just plug and play...unless you're a chip tuner You need to send a chip tuner your ECU or take it in to be CHIPPED (reflashed) ....I don't know what you've had done lately or how many miles, but for sure you want your timing belt changed and you'll need a Diverter Valve upgrade to hold the boost, the stock one just won't hold it. I don't know of anyone that has to upgarde injectors on just a chip??? I chip quite a few cars each week and not once have they had to install new injectors..unless you're going with a custom setup. The MAF does not have to be upgraded...maybe replaced after you've had your car awhile but not upgraded. Plus What would you upgraded it to?? 3" MAF?? Then you have to have a custom chip for that...as well as injectors..then it's a total different MAPPING for your chip. You should contact a local chip tuner...

GIAC, APR, UPsolute, REVO, unitronics, etc....they'll be able to help you further

Old 03-26-2006, 01:44 AM

ORIGINAL: kihuncha

i got the same question to.. how hard is it to replace this chip.. isnt it just plug and play?
Typically depending on the year it's just a flash...as in the Chip Tuner hooks your car up to his hardware system (direct port) and FLASHES (remaps, chips, etc.) your ECU. Some of the older models sometimes have to have the ECU removed to be flashed but most companies now do the Direct Port method..that is just hooking straight up to your ECU directly and uploading the software.