Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

My car started to run bad, so...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:34 PM
1st Gear
Default My car started to run bad, so...

Just wondering, the other day my 99 A4 2.8 5spd started to run real bad, stalling check engine light the whole bit, I was going to take it in to get the codes pulled, but today for S and G's I climbed under it looking for loose connections, no luck, but under the hood I found that the air intake tube appears to have come disconnected, so I reconnected it, and it seems to be much better, I just took it for a quick spin, but the check engine light is still on. So two questions, first of all, would the disconnected air tube make the car run that bad, and 2nd, if that was the problem will the check engine line go out on it's own, or do I need to have the codes reset?

Old 10-26-2010, 05:13 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Last question first: Your CEL should go off on its own as long as you don't still have an issue. If it does not go off, that is an indication that something is still wrong.

On to your first question: Your intake tube being disconnected is very probably reason for your engine running rough. I would suspect that your intake was disconnected after the MAF sensor. In that case the ECU would not have an accurate reading of the amount of air going into your engine and cause the hard start, rough running conditions.

keep us updated

Old 10-26-2010, 07:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Thanks for the reply

I will let you know as soon as anything changes, I took it out tonight for two short runs, and it ran fine, but I only ran it about 10 minutes each way. So maybe tomorrow I take it out for a longer ride and see how it does.

Man these cars a little money pits! I hope it pays off this winter here in Maine!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:24 PM

Maintenance costs are a real PITA. If you can do your own maintenance, its not too bad. None of the maintenance stuff is overly complex, its just very involved because of all the "taking apart" that is required.

You will really appreciate it this winter though. there is noooo substitute for quattro.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Another update

Took the car to auto zone today for a free plug and play, the guy was so funny, 'we never see Audi's in here they are a good car', and then I told him it had 157k miles on it and he's like 'oh it's just broken in'. But any way the code was P1128, now they couldn't tell me what it was because for what ever reason their computer doesn't cover audi, but the VW code is a MAF so I'm still leaning towards it was just the air intake tube and I'm good to go, but the check engine light is still on, the auto zone guy said it would take about 100 miles of driving for it to reset. So sometime next month it should go off lol, just kidding, but maybe this weekend I should get a few more miles on her...

Old 10-27-2010, 04:45 PM
2nd Gear

it most likely was just the hose. Without the MAF to tell the engine how to add fuel properly it wont run right. As far as the codes, the ecu will clear them eventually. Even if everything is running just fine, the ECU keeps the code in memory for awhile just to let you know it hiccuped. After X number of restarts it clears.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:37 PM

Yep P1128 means you are running too lean. A usual indication of a MAF problem. Should go away on its own.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Just another update,

Car is still running fine, but after two weeks, and well over 100 miles the check engine light remains on! What the heck?

Old 12-28-2010, 12:38 PM

if you have the radio code, try disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for about ten minutes. should reset the CEL.

and to the other guy, beat it spammer

Old 12-28-2010, 02:22 PM
1st Gear

That check engine light should go away on its own if the problem is gone. It seems you found the problem as in a obvious problem and after fixing it problem is gone.

Audi wants to see several conditions before it will turn off the light. One of which is several self checks under certain conditions to make sure the problem has been taken care of. Computer does self checks during different times even if there isn't a problem.

As far as disconnecting the battery and making the code and the light go away, well it might work and it might not.

Some codes which are called hard codes have to be removed or cleared by a scanner, or scan tool like the one at auto zone.

If it runs fine wait to see if the light go's off on its own. Even if the light go's off the code will remain in the memory of the computer but won't hurt anything.

Good Luck!

Mm

Quick Reply: My car started to run bad, so...