Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Vag-com

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Vag-com

Is it worth getting? I can get the 409.1 vag software free all I need to do is get. Cheap connector from eBay right?

Old 04-21-2010, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

409.1 is no longer supported. You can download vcds-lite from ross-tech - I think the only real difference is in the name and the use of trademarks.

vcds-lite works fine with a cheap ebay cable. The shareware version will let you see your error codes, clear them, and check the measuring blocks (up through 24) in realtime. This particularly useful if you are having misfires! (blocks 14,15,16 will show you which cylinders are having misfires, etc).

If you pay $99 to register the software then you can look at all the measuring blocks, including the turbo related blocks (115, etc).

If you have a laptop, and you are driving a 10 year old car, then I'd definitely look into getting vagcom.

OH - but - you should be aware that vagcom makes their own cables, and more recent software (that requires the better cable). With a rosstech cable you can use the most recent software. I don't know all of the details, but one difference is that the newer software has a 'turbo' mode that will sample the data more frequently than once a second. very useful when looking at the turbo and other things under extreme pressure.

The nice thing is that I believe your $99 investment in the registered software can be applied to the full ross-tech cable/software bundle if you decide to go that route.

Good luck!