Dealerships Review(s) of dealerships that sell or service Audi's

Chicagoland Fox Valley VW Rip-off

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 12:45 AM
1st Gear
Default Chicagoland Fox Valley VW Rip-off

If you're like me and can't afford a new Audi, VW dealerships aren't always a bad place to look.

Stay away from Fox Valley VW, though, particularly "salesman" Tony Lopez. If you've ever heard the term "stealership," this is a great place to start.

First and foremost, I don't like someone whose immediate question is "how much are you looking to spend?" I don't like being treated like a walking checkbook.

Secondly, I say I'm gonna trade in my car with an additional $500 down. He has the estimators look at it, then tells me he's gonna get me a great deal. Sticker price on the A4 is $10,995. He hands me a paper with $380/month over 48 months on it and tells me that's gonna be my monthly payment. I ask him how in seven hells a total price of $18240 (that's 15% APR, for those who haven't done the math) is anything resembling a good deal. So I ask what kind of deal I'm getting on the Honda. Turns out he'd written the trade-in of the Honda $3K less than blue book (it ain't in perfect shape, but there's no way in hell a 2003 Civic with 55K miles on it is worth $5500).

OH- I forgot the best part. The Civic is leased with a payoff of $6500 at the time, which would be deducted from the trade-in value. So the scumbag is charging me $1000 plus interest to take my car. I ask him how he's cutting me a deal, if I "owe" them more on the Honda's "value" than what the sales tax would be at the full price and not with the trade-in of the Civic deducted from the initial price. He realizes he's on losing ground here and offers me $260/month...for 60 months. Which is still 14% APR! I'd almost be better off going through a credit card company! I told him I'd talk to some other dealerships first.

**** you, Fox Valley VW. Unless you can pay for the entire car up front, stay away from these guys- especially Tony Lopez.