Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

allroad bumper finish

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 10:56 PM
1st Gear
Default allroad bumper finish

I posted this a while ago in the 'Exterior' forum but have not had any reponse. So here we are in detailing.

Not too long ago, I decided to re-locate a large garbage can in the parking lot at work. I performed that move with the left corner of my rear bumper.

I didn't do major damage--to the car, but did cause some scraping on the bumper plastic. Does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of the scratches and return the original finish to the grey plastic?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

jf

p.s. I also cause a small scratch in the wood trim on the transmission console when I was wiping off some pieces of grit. Any ideas how to get rid of a scratch on the wood trim?

Old 04-20-2008, 11:17 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: allroad bumper finish

Depends on how deep is the scratch...if you can feel it with your nails, you have to get that repainted. If not then some wet sanding with buffing will do the job.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:25 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: allroad bumper finish

audia6s,

I can't feel the scratches, but remember that ARs have the plastic bumper and fender flares...I don't think they are, or should be painted. I think, though, that the wet sanding could work, but I just don't know what to do the buffing with.

Thanks for your input, though.

Cheers,

john

Old 12-04-2008, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

Though a pic would be nice this is how I would do it. (this is what I do for a living). First, check to see if it is actually a scratch, the bumper will show a darker color beneath the finish if it is a deep scratch. Next if it is a scrape make sure the scrape isnt just a contact rub (which is...there is paint or plastic sitting on top of your actual bumper that looks like a scrape.) In this case get some lacquer thinner from home depot put it on a clean white rag and rub gently to medium strength untill the area is clean. Next if it has not gone away by now you will need a buffer(not an orbital style but a sander style buffer) use a wax/polish with some grit in it(specifically made to buff out medium to deep scratches) this is where it gets tricky because if you are not savvy with a buffer you will definitely do some damage to you bumper. buffers create heat very quickly so you cannot stay in one spot or have a high buffer speed 1500rpm is what i recommend, or else you risk burning the bumper. buff with the compound, and finish with a polish keep the buffer moving and keep it flat or it will not end well. If all this scares you then take it to a local detail shop they will/should buff it for around 45 to 75 bucks maybe cheaper if you can get someone from the shop to do it as a side job. I would do it for you cheap if you lived near baltimore.