Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 12:15 AM
1st Gear
Default Ask a Professional Detailer...

As a new member and sponsor of AudiForums.com, Detailed Image would like to open up a thread where you can ask us about anything relating to detailing. There is a lot of good and bad information out there about how to detail properly, so we want to provide you a place to get clarification on your detailing questions. While we don’t know everything, we do have a lot of experience with a wide variety of products that can provide you with meaningful insight. We specialize in helping people clean, shine and protect their vehicle’s interior, exterior and engine bay. We have hand-selected each product on our site that will help give you top quality detailing results.

Below we have posted some before and after pictures of work Detailed Image has done with the service side of our business. These results can be achieved by anyone who is willing to learn about detailing properly with the right combination of products. We can help you pick out a detailing package that best fits your vehicle’s particular needs. We also offer 10% OFF to all AudiForum.com members but it excludes buffers, vacuums and specials. Just type in "10offAF" and you'll get the discount when checking out.

Before - Notice the house in the background through the haze?

After:

Side by Side Comparison:

Before:

After:

Friends old show Audi show car:

Of course a couple pics of my old B5 S4:

Don't be afraid to post up any questions that you have no matter how simple or complex it is. We’ll do our best to provide you a detailed and timely response. Thank you and we look forward to starting up some great dialogue!

George and Greg
Owners - Detailed Image
www.detailedimage.com

Old 04-01-2007, 01:36 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Ask a Professional Detailer...

These guys are in my area. They do amazing work. in fact, i stopped in today to pick up some polish and wax thanks for your help guys, much appreciated. my audi thanks you too I do have a question. Whats good for leather conditioning so it doesnt dry out and crack? you saw my interior today, its in good shape, and i want to preserve that niceness for the years to come. my main concern is the driver's seat, as its always in use

Old 04-01-2007, 02:48 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the feedback Vadim. For Audi leather I've had great luck with using the Leatherique line of products. Leatherique is the product of choice for the Bentley and Rolls Royce Owners Clubs. It comes in two forms, Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil and Leatherique Prestine Clean. The Rejuvenator Oil is designed to really bring back hardened, faded, discolored leather with its deep conditioning characteristics.

The Prestine Clean is applied after to help remove contaminates and provide even more conditioning. Your vehicle’s leather has many micro pores that can become clogged with contamination from soil, human oils, spills and more. These contaminates discolor the leather and prevent the pores from absorbing conditioners that keep leather soft yet durable. It’s very important to clean and condition the leather regularly so the leather doesn’t dry out, fade and crack.

If you leather is in great condition and you are looking to just preserve it, then only the Prestine Clean is necessary. However being that your vehicle has 4 years of wear and tear on the leather, I would suggest both steps. I did both steps on my S4 prior to letting it go and it really brought back the look and feel I was hoping for.

The application process is pretty detailed so I'll outline that as well:

Prior to Use:
The selected surface should be vacuumed and wiped down with a damp cloth.

Products Recommended:
Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil
Leatherique Prestine Clean – Required to remove Rejuvenator Oil
Applicator Pad – Required to apply Prestine Clean
Microfiber Towel x2 – Required to remove Prestine Clean

Steps Taken:
1. Vacuum seats thoroughly and wipe down with a damp towel to ensure all loose debris is removed prior to working the product.
2. Apply Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil by hand and massage into the leather or leatherette, using generous amounts to the stitching and cracked areas
3. Allow Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil to sit on your seats for up to 24 hours, we suggest parking the vehicle in the sun to create a sauna effect while the product is penetrating your seats.
3a. Multiple applications may be required for hardened and discolored leather.
4. Apply Prestine Clean directly onto the seats with a terry cloth applicator pad, using generous amounts around stitching and cracked areas
5. Allow Prestine Clean to penetrate leather for 15 – 30 minutes
6. Remove Prestine Clean with a warm damp Microfiber towel
7. Buff completely dry with a new dry Microfiber towel

Maintenance Schedule:

We suggest applying Leatherique Prestine Clean every 2 – 3 months for optimal conditioning and preserving your leather and leatherette. The Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil should be done one to two times a year or as needed.

I know this is a lot to take in for leather care, so don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have. Thank you once again for your support.

George @ Detailed Image

Old 04-06-2007, 09:09 AM
1st Gear

Welcome to the forum Geoge & Greg

For any who have not come across Detailed Image before you’ll find they are an asset to detailing forums with a lot of practical ‘hands-on’ knowledge to impart, as opposed to a vendor pretending to be an educator.

Again let me say welcome

Old 04-06-2007, 12:03 PM
1st Gear

TOGWT - Thank you for the warm welcome. I really enjoy reading your insightful posts and insite on automotive detailing as well. I'm glad to see you a part of Audi Forums.

George @ Detailed Image

Old 04-06-2007, 07:52 PM
4th Gear

Not sure why but i never pop in here and now im glad i did.

I have 2 questions for you.

1. I have a faded corner on my trunk by the window as if it had been touched up or buffed by the wrong person. How can i bring that back to match the rest of the trunk?

2. My head liner has some discolorasion, kind of like water damage or cleaned improperly. The liner is off white in color how should i remove these stains?

Thanks in advance, and welcome to AF.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

Good questions new2me. Thanks for the welcome.

1) The faded corner on your trunk sounds like it has a case of bad marring, hologramming or a lot of swirls, which is taking away from the finish of your paint. These often come about with unskilled rotary buffer use or by using too aggressive of a polish or pad and not following up with a finishing polish and finishing pad. If this is the case, you'll basically need a quality finishing polish to help remove those imperfections and bring back the depth and gloss from your paint. Do you plan on correcting these marks by hand or with a buffer? Any chance you could take a couple pictures of the area you are describing to get a more accurate idea on what you are talking about? It would be best shot in direct sunlight or under florescent lighting to fully reveal the imperfections. From our store, I'd suggest Menzerna Final Polish II. This is one of the premier finishing polishes on the market and does a great job removing hazing, oxidation, light swirls and scratches and other minor imperfections. It works best with a random orbital buffer such as the Porter Cable 7424, but have also had good results by hand with this product. An over the counter option you could try would be Meguiars ScratchX or 3M Swirl Mark Remover.

2) As far as your headliner is concerned, this is a tricky area to deal with. You do not want to go too aggressive with the product or method of cleaning because you risk damaging the adhesive used to hold up your headliner. I'd typically use an all purpose cleaner, like 303 Fabric Cleaner (concentrate diluted down to about 6:1 ratio) or 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover. Simply mist a microfiber towel and blot the effected area. You can take a gentle brush to the area to help agitate the stain as well. For an over the counter solution many people have had good luck with the Woolite products. Be careful when cleaning your headliner, it may be something you may want to seek a local professionals opinion. Again if you want to snap a couple shots of it, I may be able to give you some more advice.

George @ Detailed Image

Old 04-07-2007, 04:34 PM
2nd Gear

Final polish II is kick ****! im using it on my car. I see a significant difference after only one super light application. good stuff.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:43 PM
1st Gear

After the winter, Igot somelittle stains, I dont even know what to call it, maybe pitting or just dirt spots I cant get off on my rims. Ive tried some wheel cleaning products like maguires but all seem crap too me. Any suggestions.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:48 PM
2nd Gear

could it be the combined forces of the extremely hot brake dust particles combined with salt and road dust? they feel spotwelded on when u try to get em off. i had some on mine, i used a stick wrapped in a twin layer with a rag to scrape it off

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...