Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

Holy frustrated Batman... how do you gents keep your wheels clean???

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:20 AM
1st Gear

good post

Old 09-04-2012, 08:43 AM
1st Gear

Just a quick update. My car now has 3200 miles. I continue to use the AAWP and it works very well. Depending on conditions I seem to get about 1k miles (~4 washes and 4 weeks) before I need to strip the AAWP and reapply.

Tips:
The AAWP works even better when you follow the instructions and the wheels are completely dry (duh, although not that easy to do on my wheels--need to use towels and a vac-n-blow).

When the wheels are totally dry before spraying, you don't see the brake dust splotches seen in the first photos.

Brake dust just rinses off if the AAWP is properly applied--this is the key to getting several washes between reapplication.

Meg's All Wheel and Tire takes the AAWP (and brake dust) off very nicely. Even soap and water with agitation from a mitt or brush takes it off, albeit not completely.

Tire dressing (as reported elsewhere) also takes it off if it gets on the wheel. I haven't tried dressing tires before treating the wheels.
I just picked up a set of new OEM wheels for winter, and will be trying a different approach on them. I've applied one coat of Collinite 845 sealant/wax, and will apply a second coat in a few weeks before I get my winter tires. Hopefully that will provide a nice, slick base either by itself, or under the AAWP as a 1-2 punch.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Wheel help

Hey every one!!

I am new here and I had the same issue with my new Q5. I talked to a buddy who details on the side and he recommends Klasse to use on the rims. It acts like a seal so that all the grime rinses away. My self I use Chemical guys sticky orange wheel cleaner and then I apply wheel wax brand wax. I can literally rinse with water and the grime comes off no problem. The coating lasts and you won't have to apply everytime you wash.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:27 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by brrman
Interesting - I actually stopped using Meg's Wheel and Tire Cleaner for the Sonax because I found it worked better. What kind of pads do you run, ceramic or metallic?
Beautiful picture of the car. Any recommendations for cleaners on the Audi Titanium wheels? (New to the forum also) I've tried the Armorall protectant, but the RS4 brake dust seems to stick to everything. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Old 12-09-2012, 03:36 PM
1st Gear

My 2000 A4 Avant 2.8Q now has 174K miles on it. I got it off a lease with 50K miles on it. This is my second Avant, and they enjoy mild CA weather. My Ronal wheels are painted silver. German cars (Audi, VW, Mercedes, BMW...) seem to come with soft brake pads that make a lot of black dust and get dirty within two days driving. First thing I did was to switch to Porterfield R4-S Sport/ street pads. They make no dust, stop better and long-lived. (174K-50K= 124K miles on pads with safe material remaining). I wipe light dust every week or two. Every 5-7K miles I rotate wheels front-rear. While I'm at it I wash the wheels and wax them (inner portion too) with a good wax (I like Rain Dance); check, clean and wax suspension components. I wash wheels and wells with soapy water and long-handled dish mop to get to inner wheel and calipers. A micro-fiber cloth with a spray RV care product called Protect-All (carnauba) keeps everything shiny.