Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

Leaf-blower Car Drying

Old 07-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Default Leaf-blower Car Drying

Ive read a post about drying your car after you wash with a leaf blower. A reply to the suggestion yelilded something along the lines of a no, for the reason that it has no airfiltert and will injgest particles and chip/dent/scratch the car. I am afraid to say this is false. On almost all leaf blowers there ARE gaurds to protect against debris entering the airstream. They are pretty fine also. Also, how would big enough things get hig enough off of the ground into mid air to be sucked into the air stream inlet? Oh thats right... they dont. I have found that by using a backpack-style leaf blower dries the car much quicker than chamois, doesnt need to be rung, and eliminates ALL waterspots after it is fully dry. Thats why I would say it is safe and possibly t he best way to dry the car after washing for the maximum amount of shine/beauty. What does everyone else think? And does anyone have any other awkward/unconventional ways of drying?
-dm pdx

Old 07-19-2007, 04:35 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Leaf-blower Car Drying

well if i could find one cheap to buy i would dry my car that way but right now i use towels and then i have a big air compressor that for like around the mirrors/door jams/gas tank/grill/wheels etc. i use the air comprssor. works the same but not in as large of an area.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:33 PM
1st Gear

I actually tried this today, and it worked like a charm!!!!!!!!!! It looks like I just brought it through one of those touchless cleaners with the super - mega blowers at the end. It took a while but it worked. There were a few water spots I had to wipe out but mainly it worked great!!!!

Great Tip!!

Old 08-26-2007, 03:41 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

The nifty part about using a gas blower is that the exhaust is ducted into the blown air, heating it a little bit. Heat = good for drying. Word.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:00 PM
1st Gear

I use the California Waterblade and then go over once with a big blue waffle drying towel. No wringing required since most of the water is removed with the waterblade. But i would like to get a leave blower sometime so I can get rid of all the water in the crevices.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:52 AM
zds
1st Gear

a gas blower can also leave a gas resin on the paint, use a electic blower, you can usally get them cheeper, and it is usually only used to get the water out of cracks. ie door jams

Old 11-28-2007, 11:19 PM
1st Gear

Haha, I do this, but I would also recommend electric only (I also do the inside, im a smoker, great for stray ashes), my neighbors must think im a lunatic

Old 11-29-2007, 11:38 PM
1st Gear

I'm with you d2mini, those Calif. Waterbladesare awesome! Almostno water left afteryou quickly master it.Fast, easy, won't scratch and...QUIET

Got a two-pack at CostCo.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:30 AM
1st Gear

Yeah, waterblades are good (just be careful of any leftover debris left behind), but like the others said the blower is mainly for the areas you can't reach, one must blow to avoid drips, then shammy for finishing touches. Sorry, I am just a little (ok a lot) obsessive with cleaning, especially my cars[&:]

Old 01-20-2008, 05:56 PM
1st Gear

Hi

Calif waterblades can cause more harm then good. They can pick up a piece of debris and cause surface scratches. This also can go for the calif duster also but at least the duster you can wash out with woolite.

Alan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaf-blower Car Drying