Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

Paint chip repair in one day?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Paint chip repair in one day?

Hey all,

I am taking my 2004 Black A6 S-Line in on Wednesday to a detail place for a wash, clay bar, cut polish and wax. They have a real good reputation and they are one of 3 places in the city that people take their Lambos, Aston's etc etc. They do minor paint chip repair as part of their services. I have a paint chip from the bottom corner of a old truck door (I saw him do it and ran to my car but the bastard took off before I could stop him). Its on the lower panel on my driver's door. Its about 1 centimeter in diameter total and half a centimeter of it is down to the metal. Some very very light rust has formed. Now, from all the paint chip repair articles I have read, they say if down to the metal, apply primer, let dry, then apply paint, wait 24 hrs. Now, my question is: Can a decent repair of this paint chip be done within a day on top of wash, clay bar, polish and wax? Is there some quick drying method detailers use that I am unaware of? It does not have to be perfect and I don't need a clear coat layer on it or anything, just want to "hide" it. If I can barely make it out only because I know its there, that’s good enough for me. So, is this possible or would I be facing a sub-par repair that will just end up chipping off after time because they only had 8 hours to do it?

Thanks guys!

Frizzlefry

Old 04-24-2010, 09:12 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

a small chip that size with a little rust

sand, clean, prime, paint, clear, maybe another coat of clear

shouldn't take more than a couple hours

if you were doing something larger like a panel you might need some extra dry time on the primer, paint coat