Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

Picked this up today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 02:13 PM
Site Moderator
Default Picked this up today...

http://www.mothers.com/products/prod...tpix/07240.jpg

I have never clayed my car before. Should be loads of fun... lol
Detailing season is offically open!

Old 04-07-2005, 02:16 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Picked this up today...

Ahh yes the claybar. Thats a good way to waste a few hours of your time, excellent results though!

Old 04-07-2005, 03:10 PM
1st Gear

I don't think that claying the car takes that long. I have done it many times with great results good luck.

I just order a bunch of Zaino stuff (including clay bars) to do my Dads 2005 Vette, which he will be picking up the 1st of May. Then my parents are off on a 15,000 mile trip around the US.

*bold indicates thread topic* just had to say something about the Vette..sorry

Old 04-07-2005, 04:24 PM
2nd Gear

Wait..so you're gonna clay it..then drive it thru who knows how many bugs? Interesting strategy[8D] Lets see if it pays off for em cotten.

-T

Old 04-07-2005, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

Transverse - What exactly are you saying. (Sorry for the thread hi-jacking...) I will be doing a complete process on the new Vette. Which will include 5 - 6 applications of Zaino Zaino The link is provide so I don't have to explain everything to you, but it is not a wax it is a polymer of sorts. That is why multiple coats are able to be done (unlike a wax). Anyway once it has been Zaino'ed almost anything will come right off with a simple wash.

We have these things in Florida called "Love Bugs" A college was doing an expeirement to make a bug that eats mosquitos. Well it didn't turn out right an we got this hybrid bug that comes out like twice a year. Why am I telling you this...because they are very corrosive to paint. If left on bare paint or even waxed paint for lets say about a couple days to a week they will etch into the paint leaving your front end looking horrible. Only way to fix is a reapint...you can not buff this out in most cases. These bugs used to be so bad that they had stations along the highway, in certain parts of Florida, that would spray off your windsheild with a pressure washer because you could no long see out the windsheild and they don't come off easily.

Anyway...I have used Zaino on several of my cars down here in Florida and let Love Bugs sit for weeks...on purpose...to see it they would still come off. I just washed with Zaino Z7 (regular car wash soap) and a coton towel and they came right off every time.

So Transverse...The fact that this process will be done along with a clear 3M bra will make it easy for my parents to wash the car, with minimal effort, on their journey and still have it looking GREAT!!! I'm sorry I didn't make this clear in my ealrier post I just didn't think that I would get flamed for it. (Maybe it is because it is a Vette and not an Audi)

To all others... interested. Take a look at this product. It works great and it is easy to maintain.

(I am in no way promoting this product other than the fact that I have had great results with it, and wanted to share my experience.)

-Pete

[edit] - P.S. maybe this should belong in the Detailing section not the A4 section

Old 04-07-2005, 05:43 PM
3rd Gear

to properly clay bar the car it takes about 4 or 5 hrs, but its def worth it, I do it every spring and falljust remember to start at the top of the car and work your way down so that you done get the road grime in the clay right away

Old 04-07-2005, 05:52 PM
5th Gear

any norcal kids interested in detailing stuff, check this event out, sounds like a good place to get stuff for cheap...and probably "test" the products on your car for free as well...

Old 04-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: TomRitt

just remember to start at the top of the car and work your way down so that you done get the road grime in the clay right away

Thats a good point, Tom. Thanks.

Old 04-07-2005, 09:29 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: BlueLord
...............maybe this should belong in the Detailing section not the A4 section
Yep, it should.

Old 04-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Site Moderator

lol - I probably should have know that, eh?

Quick Reply: Picked this up today...