Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

Recommendations of products

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 02:57 PM
2nd Gear
Default Recommendations of products

I know there are a large variety of products for everything from cleaners to waxes. So I was looking for input for what you guys like, dislike, and recommend. Personally, I use meguiars for almost everything. I have used their products for years and think that when properly applied provide great results. I also use klasse as a sealant and glaze and love it.

Specifically I would like input about griots garage, pinnicle, blackfire, mothers, p21s, 303 aerospace, and anything else

Old 03-27-2010, 03:09 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

while we are on it

what is recommended for refreshing the look of exterior plastic (black) bits?

Old 03-27-2010, 05:10 PM
2nd Gear

For anything plastic I just clean it and dress it with hyperdressing. Gives it that wet black look for a couple weeks.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:01 AM
2nd Gear

Try clay-baring your car. You would be amazed at the amount of stuff that can come out of your paint...

Old 04-01-2010, 07:06 PM
1st Gear

I actually just tried some Zaino Polish a coworker let me borrow. It tends to be expensive, but has a long lasting shine wash after wash. It can also be applied in layers, so the more layers the glossier the finish. Not to mention it won't discolor or mark up your black plastics like most waxes do. Definitely a great product!

http://www.zainostore.com/

I'd recommend getting a clay bar if you don't have one. Definitely get some z6, z5, at minimum if you're cheap like me. I'd like to try the z-pc but my coworker didn't have any to let me borrow.

Some pics of the end result:

Also, this might be helpful in your decision of buying new products. It's most certainly not scientific, but it definitely says something.

http://www.ffcobra.com/magazine/waxtest.html

And mind you this is all coming from a loyal Mothers and Meguiars user. Which are both fine, but there is always room for improvement.

Last edited by cman7; 04-01-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:55 PM
2nd Gear

I agree, on the room for improvement but what doesn't? One day on the internet I found a wax that was specifically formulated for the paint on the buggati royale. Its something like 12,000$ for one container, but it is refilled for life for free. Thought that was kind of odd, but anyone else seen this?

I'm going to do a full paint correction on my a6 soon, I'll take some pics and post them so you guys can see a before and after from a full meguiars products lines.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:26 AM

I have just used auto glym super resin polish on mine followed by ultra deep shine - looks amazing!! I dont know whether I should use both but thought what the heck! I need to get some extra gloss protection to finish the job off - but I would deffo recommend srp!

Old 04-24-2010, 05:02 PM
2nd Gear

Has anyone ever used liquid glass? I've seen it around and it sounds intriguing but klasse AIO polish seems to be about the same stuff. I'm curious because I have some deep scratches and I know that if I level it I'm going to loose most of my clear coat. I was wondering if several layers of liquid glass would make a nice substitute.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:39 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jhuffman
Has anyone ever used liquid glass? I've seen it around and it sounds intriguing but klasse AIO polish seems to be about the same stuff. I'm curious because I have some deep scratches and I know that if I level it I'm going to loose most of my clear coat. I was wondering if several layers of liquid glass would make a nice substitute.
At the shop I used to work at they used Liquid Glass as their LSP (Last step Process.) I'll tell you about Liquid Glass from my experience.

It is a sealant that is very hard. If you do not properly correct your paint finish this will bring out those imperfections. Also, this product is not very easy to apply and in terms of durability it does not last too long. Personally, I feel you would have better protection from Klasse AIO and Klasse also enhances the gloss.

Originally Posted by jhuffman
I know there are a large variety of products for everything from cleaners to waxes. So I was looking for input for what you guys like, dislike, and recommend. Personally, I use meguiars for almost everything. I have used their products for years and think that when properly applied provide great results. I also use klasse as a sealant and glaze and love it.

Specifically I would like input about griots garage, pinnicle, blackfire, mothers, p21s, 303 aerospace, and anything else
To answer your first question. It all depends what you are trying to accomplish. Like you said Meguiars is a great line but also be careful because Meguiars products range from Professional to Junk. Their OTC products are usually almost junk. I stress "usually" because some OTC products like their Gold Class shampoo and Megs #40 (vinyl, rubber, and plastic cleaner) are actually very good. So Meguiars professional line is amazing but their OTC products like ScratchX belong in the dumpster.

All of the brand names you have named offer excellent products. P21s has a great wheel gel for your wheels that is also pH neutral so it won't harm any wheel. 303 has great products to combat UV, pinnacle offers some great waxes, blackfire has some great sealants and waxes as well, and griots garage is also a great one.

Depending on what it is you are trying to accomplish you can't go wrong using those brands. At the end of the day it comes down to preference.

-Waseem

Old 05-10-2010, 12:00 PM
2nd Gear

I have also heard great things about all of these products. I know what you mean about meguiar's OTC, I agree but I do really like M105 and M205 and I've heard many other detailers use them as well. I also like techwax and thier sealant 2.0. The wax and sealant aren't as perfect as p21 and klasse, but I've gotten great results with them. I'm in the process of finding just the right combination for my lineup, thanks for the input.

Oh, anyone ever used dodo juice? I've heard rave reviews about the supernatural wax but I doubt I have the know how to see 100$ worth of difference. How about menzerna polishes?

Quick Reply: Recommendations of products